What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rajah

a couple of days after i recieved the rajah in the mail.

IMG_0181.jpg

cool! how big was the pot it came in?

(can't wait to post all of my pics when mine arrives.)

that is the same pot it came in 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"

Here's mine just for a little comparison.

Picture%20588.jpg

pitcher closeup and tendril insertion also pictured
Picture%20596.jpg

Wow, weird George-Cp I use those same little green bowls for some of my cp's.
You SHOULDN'T leave your Rajah sitting in water its roots may rot!
biggrin.gif

really? I remember reading that you should do that to keep the roots cool!

It is ok to have your Nepenthes in a tray of water as long as the water isn't very deep. IE more than a 1/4 f an inch is bad for long term sitting in it. Rajah's roots DO need to be kept cool as Spectabilis mentioned and I accomplish this with using light colored pots and ice cubes at nite. Temp in the day for roots should be moderate and the soil shoudl feel refreshing to the touch.

it has been in water ever since i have recieved it. it seems to be doing fine but, the roots haven't come out of the pots holes yet. plus i don't water it at all except for 2 times a month and that is w/ superthrive but the next day i dump the water out and fill the dish back up.

how do you put the ice cubes around the pot? do you put them just at the bottom, or do you put the pot the rajah is in and put it in a bigger pot and then put cubes to the top of the pot?

Spec73, before i got the refrig. i was putting bottles of frozen water around the plant to keep it cool at night. some people still do this in here but, i found it to be more time consuming each night and morning moving the bottles around. if you put ice cubes in it make sure it is distilled water that you freeze up. and place them in the pot but, your better off w/ bottles of frozen water.

Ooooohhh... Refreshing... ooohhh...
smile.gif

Seriously though...

I will have some gorgeous little highlanders some day, maybe soon... time has been a little thin lately... so I have not been able to continue my cooling experiments.

Regardless, I just don't think I could ever get into the whole moving frozen bottles thing... I mean.. I don't have enough room in my freezer for a popsicle, much less a bottle of frozen water! Hmmm.. popsicle... be right back... wait..

ok.. back... NG, I just must say, that recently pictures of your little fella, and of Martin's friends well... I am kinda wanting one now... not as bad as others... but a little..
smile.gif

Speaking of which, has anyone seen martin around lately? or am I just missing the topics he's posting in?

Rampuppy, it was a pain moving them back and forth. so with in a week i decided to go get my little refrig. now that is starting to get old moving it in and out of the refrig. so i cann't wait till i get the rest of the cooling parts for the 31Lx31Wx46H tank that i have.

Regarding cooling the roots of N. rajah, or other highland Nepenthes, I have never taken steps
to do this, nor do I believe it to be necessary.  I have plants that are many years old,  very
large, and very healthy.  The only cooling which their roots receive occurs when their entire
environment undergoes nocturnal cooling.  Therefore, I don't recommend the application of
ice or unusually cold water to the plants or to their compost.  Such extremes are needless,
and may, in fact, yield deleterious results!

Please keep in mind that D. californica, of the Sarraceniacea, does require that its roots
be kept cool, however....

O perhaps I didn't explain myself. I put ice bottles in my terrarium, they are around the pot and don't nessacarily make the roots super cold, but they do get "refreshed". I find also that Rajah will not pitcher well unless the air tmep is nice and cool, jsut 3 days of "forgotten" cooling I had a nice pitcher that was coming make a deformed one!
mad.gif

Hi
Nice rajah photos!
I notice that all these particular photos are based on the pet Flytrap site. Can anyone do that?

A while back I tried to link to some of my photos on my Pbase and Yahoo albums, but it didn't work. Any ideas why not?

cheers

bill

Neps/jeff good to see you back around. i have read but havn't tried this yet. when gone for awhile on vacation or something. that to water the plants take a frozen bottle poke a hole in the cap turn it upside down and let it drip in the soil. now will this cause ill effect or will this help the plants out while away for a while.

fly-catcher, yahoo does not let pics on there sight be posted here because of the pop ups thats how the make there money. don't know about pbase

Looks like your making it very happy. Maybe I should get one......

Back