Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N. hamata lids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your plants are sitting in a tank in pots, you can increase the humidity by having a layer of water on the bottom of the tank and have the pots above that.
    One good way is to have a layer of egg crate(from home Depot, ect) and overturned pots holding that above the water. You could also have a layer of gravel on the bottom of the tank with the water level just below the gravel, so the pots are not sitting in the water.

joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Eggcrate "false bottom" sitting on lengths of 1 1/2" diameter PVC piping with an inch or so of water beneath is how I humidify my 75 gallon lowland cutting/small plant terrarium. It keeps it 80+% even when all lights are on and higher as the lights go out.

I use an ultrasonic humidifier on my highland tank but if you do not have it hooked up to a humidistat it can run too long and rot your plants in an enclosed space. You can try a timer but get one that can be set in 15 min or less increments (a digital one will be best for this). Then you will have to watch tro see how long it takes to saturate the plant leaves and then set the timer for slightly less than that, so the plants are just approaching dampness when the humidifier shuts off for a few minutes then the humidifier will come back on. In a small space like a 10 gallon a ultrasonic humidifier might be a bad idea as it won't take long to saturate the plants in the small space. Also, just so you are not taken in by the packaging, when it says "cool mist ultrasonic humidifier" it doesn't actually create cool mist, it's just not made with steam from boiling water like a traditional humidifier.

Can you set the closed 10 gallon terrarium in front of an air conditioner that can be turned on every night? This way the tank would get cold but the cold dry air wouldn't be entering the terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...so thanks to the replies to this thread, I think the problem of low humidity at night has been solved. I normally keep the plants raised off of the floor of the terrarium with clear, inverted cups in order to get the plants right under the lights. I simply added 1/2" of distilled water to the bottom of the tank. If I seal the terrarium at night after adding the frozen bottle, temp drops to 57 degrees with a humidity of 90-92%. Apparently, the large surface area of water available for evaporation at the bottom of the tank simply keeps the humidity high despite condensation on the bottle of ice. Oh, and the lids on the hamatas are now open in the morning! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12