What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uh-oh, not digesting

My purps can't catch flying insects, but ants do march directly into the pitcher and drown like lemmings. So 90% of what its eating are ants. But still, I hate ants. They crawl all over my other sarrs and steal the catch
mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jodajo21 @ Aug. 16 2002,6:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a roach laid eggs in mine and its been well fed ever since. Leo
place your sarra.purp. on the ground,it will catch a tons ofinsects,and maybe become the home of some tree frogs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I really have a hard time bealivng this, the eggs would have been digested much before they hatched. I own a 20 foot by 20 foot square of pitcher plants, tropical or non. THERE outside, i inspect them everyday, and not even a roch has laid eggs in mine, plus were are you keeping yours? A ROACH? Dude thats sick those things are worse than flies, they eat flesh poop hair paint nails ETC. if yours is inside and it caught a roach, no offense. But, i have never seen a roach on my property my whole life. And dude? what do you mean by tree frogs? INSIDE? what? im sorry but this post makes no sense! About the roaches and frogs!?!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Plantdoctor @ Aug. 16 2002,7:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I really have a hard time bealivng this, the eggs would have been digested much before they hatched. I own a 20 foot by 20 foot square of pitcher plants, tropical or non. THERE outside, i inspect them everyday, and not even a roch has laid eggs in mine, plus were are you keeping yours? A ROACH? Dude thats sick those things are worse than flies, they eat flesh poop hair paint nails ETC. if yours is inside and it caught a roach, no offense. But, i have never seen a roach on my property my whole life. And dude? what do you mean by tree frogs? INSIDE? what? im sorry but this post makes no sense! About the roaches and frogs!?![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
We live in a heterogenous country. Unless you guys are neighbors, what you observe in your property has no correlation with what he obverves at his.

Praise you! If you've never seen a roach on your property in your whole life, you're either very lucky or blissfully ignorant. Quite likely that there is at least one roach, if not more, within a 20 foot radius of you right now, masterfully out of sight.

Tree frogs - yahuh, I hear from many reliable sources that it happens quite commonly dude.
wink.gif

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions. I should probably take my Sarr out on a picnic to the park every now and then for a feast.
wow.gif

Leo

lithopsman,
Dude how do you do it? You ask a question about feeding your Nep and we end up discussing Sara's.
As to your last question yes. A couple days to a couple weeks.
wink.gif
smile.gif

in regard to plantdoctors statement I quote
I really have a hard time bealivng this, the eggs would have been digested much before they hatched. I own a 20 foot by 20 foot square of pitcher plants, tropical or non. THERE outside, i inspect them everyday, and not even a roch has laid eggs in mine, plus were are you keeping yours? A ROACH? Dude thats sick those things are worse than flies, they eat flesh poop hair paint nails ETC. if yours is inside and it caught a roach, no offense. But, i have never seen a roach on my property my whole life. And dude? what do you mean by tree frogs? INSIDE? what? im sorry but this post makes no sense! About the roaches and frogs!?! end quote
i have a very large S.purpea and very densly packed it is about a foot wide and the whole circular area is clutterd with pitchers.that area between the pitchers is ablolutely packed with various wild life,such as tree frogs and roaches and asaw it with live young actually i just assumed it came from eggs lots of disgusting little white tinny puss balls. oh and i live in florida and its not uncommon to see many roaches in your house even with extensive pest control. and i keep all my cp's outside at this point.oh and you see quite a few tree frogs in yourhouse all the time,they come in when you open the door. oh and isnt it the general consensus and rules of this forum to keep confrontation to a minimum esp. over small issues like a simple un offensive post i dont really care how it was dirrected at me but,you could cause young cp growers to feel unconfortable here, and thus not benifit from every bodies experience. forgive me if i sound preachy.

Joel

Actually, this newbie is having a blast reading all this stuff. The way you all argue! Hahaha! Very entertaining...silly, but non-the-less very entertaining!  
wink.gif

@ Plantdoctor...Whoa. Holy Crap. How Rude.
mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carniverous newbie @ Aug. 18 2002,1:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually, this newbie is having a blast reading all this stuff. The way you all argue! Hahaha! Very entertaining...silly, but non-the-less very entertaining!  
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
you'll find it even more entertaining if only you jumped right in and joined us in our endless nitpicking arguments.
biggrin.gif

Ok lets get back on track. I purchased some of the Can o Crickets at my local petshop and noticed within 3 hours in an N.Truncata pitcher the cricket was falling apart and being broken down, SO lithopsman you should have no trouble with your crickets when your plant makes a new pitcher.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Plantdoctor @ Aug. 16 2002,10:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I really have a hard time bealivng this, the eggs would have been digested much before they hatched.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actually Plantdoctor, seeing as a roach can be stuck in a microwave for fair amount of time and walk out unscathed it is possible, they are bombproof and so are theis eggs. Roach ootheca (that is the technical term for their egg cases) are actually extremely durable and could easily withstand the dilute solution inside a S. purp pitcher.

NepG,

Thank you for bringing the topic back to where it should be
smile.gif

When feeding a Nep, are there any general rules on maximum prey size? Should one keep insects on the small side to be safe, or can they take prey that's say 1/2 the size of the pitcher? Leo

Well, cold porridge for dinner!!!
smile.gif
That's what it's looked like the last 3 days
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

No problem Pyro. Just trying to help out around here as much as I can.
smile.gif

Leo, pitchers should be fed with small prey, but yeah I guess u could toss in a few mature crickets as long as they are submerged in the digestive acids.

Basically, you don't want parts sticking out... Mould and stuff. Bleh...

Back