Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New nep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dfalkanger...
    I might become a nepenthes freak![/QUOTE] Don't fight it. Just let the feelings wash over you. Your eyes are getting heavy...

I can't just post one joke so I'll say something serious. I really like neps. I'll make a logical argument.

One, I can grow lowland plants outside in FL, so far, fingers crossed. I know that I will end up moving them around when it gets cold or really dry. I can live with that.

Two, they are virtually unique and beautiful. I almost never see them in nurserys.

Three, they eat bugs. Four, they eat bugs. Since I live in Florida, that's worth two reasons. I've found swarming fire ant queens, love bugs, flies of every description, and more in the pitchers. I don't miss any of them. Sometimes the pitchers on the ventrata fill up and die. The plant -- an amazingly fast grower -- makes more pitchers and so on.

Five, they are rare plants that could use more people cultivating them. Personally, given the bug situation in Florida, I think introducing them in some forested wetlands would be a great idea. Put some sarracenia in there too. Then, maybe, I wouldn't have 5000 bugs on my car when I go out sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er, wetlands around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow , you have a cool , mom , my mom would never come home with a cp for me , lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] . where did she get it from , how much ddi it ost , the only neps i see here are small in 3 inch pots with barely any pitchers . i agree , i think its a coccinea as well , its hybris with rafflesiana , miorablis and ampullaria and all those are lowlanders . lowlanders can handle more water then highlander , they don't need much light and like shade . the difference between you other cps is that it will need higher humidty aroung the 60-90 . no dormancy , they don't like it alot when the temps get close to 50 degees . lowlanders like very warm temps , arounf the 90-70 . thast a very beutiful and healthy plant .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I agree. My mom is about ready to pitch my cp's out of the house, and my whole collection isn't as big as that nep! Then again I'm joining the ICPS next year! Seeds galore! Great nep [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in florida sarrs grow naturally in Florida. You can see the boundaries on www.sarracenia.com (made by Barry Rice). Lots of info. Too lazy to look myself though.

6. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12