What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nep.

Well to my surprise and delight today my mom brought home a beautiful nep.  She ocassionaly brings home a VFT, but nothing like this  Since this is my first nep.  I need to know everything about this one,  I know, distilled water.  What I am unsure of is:

1.) how much sulight

2.) do I keep it wet like all other CP's

3.) Does it have a dormancy period?  If so when?

4.) What kind of temps. and humidity does this nep need?

5.) What kind of nep. is this?

6.) Any other tips

nep1.JPG

nep2.JPG

nep3.JPG

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I love it

Looks Like a Nepenthes Coccinea.

There was a recent post about this plant in the past.

Coccinea Link

1) Direct sunlight for several hours, shade for rest of the day.  That works well for me.
2)  Keep it damp, not sopping.  Let it get almost dry before deeply watering again.  Do not let it get too dry, err on the side of extra water
3) No dormancy, it grows all year!
4)It probably is a lowlander, it looks like a N.Coccinea that didn't get enough light, or some other hybrid with Raff parentage.  Thus 80's-90's during the day and 70s during the night.  
5)The next pitcher or two should reveal it's true identity.  I'd guess N. Coccinea, but there seems to be too much green speckling.  Are there any pitchers that are solid red?

SF

Edit: Too fast LenG44!

I agree, It is a coccinea but it hasn't gotten alot of light for a while and thats why it has green specs
biggrin.gif
Mine used to be like that when I had it on the shade, but now it gets a little sunlight and its completely red wine.
tounge.gif
Good luck growing it dfalkanger!

Cheers,
Erick

I just went through a what-the-heck-is-this with a plant a lot like that one.  Guess what?  I'll say coccinea.  I'm a follower.  
biggrin.gif

OTOH, I did find some pictures of a spotted alata with a fat belly that confused me.  Apparently, alata is one of several plants with some differing looks.  If it isn't a coccinea there are enough alata to keep you guessing for a while before you even move on to the "Bs."  The more I learn, the more confused I get sometimes.  

If it is coccinea, if you give it some room, it grows like a weed.  I guess Orlando over the last month has had pretty good growing conditions.  *going to get camera*

The pitcher on the right is the biggest old pitcher.  The one on the left is new.  

ccc.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Beagle @ Sep. 19 2003,10:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If it is coccinea, if you give it some room, it grows like a weed.  I guess Orlando over the last month has had pretty good growing conditions.  *going to get camera*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yea from what it sounds like, I'm not sure if the conditions here are ideal for the coccinea. I'll keep it indoors, and in the winter it will probably be down towards 68-70 indoors w/ not a lot of humidity. It does seem to grow pretty fast, just over night I can tell that some of the new pitchers have moved. I love this new plant, I hope I don't kill it though. I might become a nepenthes freak!

I am going to try and see though if I can keep it alive and well. I think it will be able to get used to the conditions in my house. If I mist the plant a couple times a day it will keep the humidity up a little around the plant. Hopefully it will be all right though.

Thanks for all the help everyone, any other tips would be great
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dfalkanger @ Sep. 19 2003,11:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Beagle @ Sep. 19 2003,10:5
alien.gif
</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If it is coccinea, if you give it some room, it grows like a weed. I guess Orlando over the last month has had pretty good growing conditions. *going to get camera*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yea from what it sounds like, I'm not sure that I'll be able to provide ideal conditions the coccinea. I'll keep it indoors, and in the winter it will probably be down towards 68-70 indoors w/ not a lot of humidity. It does seem to grow pretty fast, just over night I can tell that some of the new pitchers have moved. I love this new plant, I hope I don't kill it though. I might become a nepenthes freak!

I am going to try and see though if I can keep it alive and well. I think it will be able to get used to the conditions in my house. If I mist the plant a couple times a day it will keep the humidity up a little around the plant. Hopefully it will be all right though.

Thanks for all the help everyone, any other tips would be great
smile.gif

One more thing, believe it or not, you can probably use tap water. If you kill your plant, don't blame me. But, I do water my coccinea with water from a hose sometimes if we don't have rain for a couple days. I'll mist with filtered water or distilled if I just finished misting other stuff.

Of course, it's been raining a lot. So, if you don't get a lot of rain, forget what I just said.

Neps, IMHO, are pretty tolerant of crappy water, sometimes.

dfalkanger...
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I might become a nepenthes freak![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>  Don't fight it.  Just let the feelings wash over you.  Your eyes are getting heavy...

I can't just post one joke so I'll say something serious.  I really like neps.  I'll make a logical argument.  

One, I can grow lowland plants outside in FL, so far, fingers crossed. I know that I will end up moving them around when it gets cold or really dry.  I can live with that.  

Two, they are virtually unique and beautiful.  I almost never see them in nurserys.  

Three, they eat bugs.  Four, they eat bugs.  Since I live in Florida, that's worth two reasons.  I've found swarming fire ant queens, love bugs, flies of every description, and more in the pitchers.  I don't miss any of them.  Sometimes the pitchers on the ventrata fill up and die.  The plant -- an amazingly fast grower -- makes more pitchers and so on.

Five, they are rare plants that could use more people cultivating them.  Personally, given the bug situation in Florida, I think introducing them in some forested wetlands would be a great idea.  Put some sarracenia in there too.  Then, maybe, I wouldn't have 5000 bugs on my car when I go out sometimes.

Er, wetlands around here.

wow , you have a cool , mom , my mom would never come home with a cp for me , lol
tounge.gif
. where did she get it from , how much ddi it ost , the only neps i see here are small in 3 inch pots with barely any pitchers . i agree , i think its a coccinea as well , its hybris with rafflesiana , miorablis and ampullaria and all those are lowlanders . lowlanders can handle more water then highlander , they don't need much light and like shade . the difference between you other cps is that it will need higher humidty aroung the 60-90 . no dormancy , they don't like it alot when the temps get close to 50 degees . lowlanders like very warm temps , arounf the 90-70 . thast a very beutiful and healthy plant .

Ya, I agree. My mom is about ready to pitch my cp's out of the house, and my whole collection isn't as big as that nep! Then again I'm joining the ICPS next year! Seeds galore! Great nep
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think in florida sarrs grow naturally in Florida.  You can see the boundaries on www.sarracenia.com (made by Barry Rice).  Lots of info.  Too lazy to look myself though.

Back