What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best soil for Neps

Long-fibered Sphagnum, orchid bark, vermiculite, lava rock, washed river gravel, peat moss, charcoal (2:1:1:1:1:1:1). That is my SUPER-DUPER-DELUX recipie, but I hardly ever manage to get all the ingredients, in sufficient quatities, for it to be useful. :biggrin: I typically use LF sphagnum, orchid bark, washed river gravel, and charcoal (2:1:1:1) with great success. I also use chopped coco-fiber as a substitute for LF sphagnum whenever I find a dry coconut in my back yard.
smile.gif

Joel

My SUPER DUPER DELUXE recipe is Pure Living Sphagnum. I only use it for rare Nepenthes and my favorite ones. I have it with Rajah,Truncata and Madagascariensis as it is still a cutting. My other 2nd choice recipe is Long fiber spahgnum alone. Those mixes are used for the highlands mainly.And my lowland Nep mix is Long fiber spahgnum orchid bark and perlite with a little charcoal. If I don't have any of the above mixes avlable I go with the good ole Peat/Perlite.
smile.gif

thanks guys I have lots of Pure Long fiber Sphagnum and I will try some of those if I would put charcoal in the mix would I mix it in with all the other stuff

LF sphag: orchid bark:lava rock:charcoal:vermiculite:peat in a 3:1:1:1
wow.gif
wow.gif

More and more these days I am hearing the highlands and lowlands have much different preferences so I may start working on new recipies as time goes on and new plants arrive.

Pyro

Charcoal can be mixed throughout the mix and I usually do that and put a layer of it at the bottom of the pot. (this way it keeps the deeper soil nice and fresh, so it won't get bacterial infection or get stale.)

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 4:35 pm on May 21, 2002)

Not trying to be a jerk and only because I am a microbiologist...

Bacteria do not 'infect' soil they 'infest' it. Infection is a term specific to colonization of a living host

And that is my usless Jeopardy trivia for the day:)

I think NG was just "confused". :wink:

well what i do is take Better gro orchid bark with some charcoal and perlite and lay 1" on the bottom then i take LFS and peat and perlite and mix it up then put it in and then plant it, and use LFS for top decoration
smile.gif

id use LIVE SPHAGNUM MOSS but my dealer is lazy and not walking about 200 yards behind his hose and pickin some
tounge.gif

i think you know who you are
tounge.gif

hehehe

I am not lazy pal.
smile.gif
Good joke. I'll get ya some don't worry! And don't call me lazy!
smile.gif

OK OK, whats another word

your lagerd, or laged, or a lagard person

I DUNO it means slow, LOL
j/k :O

I have mine Spaghnum moss and it is now pitchering...:)

There are so many mixes for nepenthes, that I can't say that any one is much superior than the other. Although long fibered sphagnum will work quite well....it can get quite difficult to deal with when repotting, as the roots tangle totally in it, and it also eventually rots. I have had good success just using peat and perlite with near even mixtures of it. Sometimes I throw in a little lava rock. Nepenthes such as bicalcarata, mirabilis, ampullaria, khasiana and a few others can take a wetter mixture with some additional peat. If your plants look healthy....keep a doin what ur a doin.

Kim

i will keep that in mind Kim
smile.gif

Back