What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ramispina pitchers getting smaller not bigger

I've never had such a thing happen before with any of my plants but there seems to be something fishy going on with my N. ramispina.

Since I've had it the first pitcher made in my chamber was nice 1 1/2" tall very dark brown with black spots the second real nice (bigger & nearly solid black) the third was back to nice now the latest pitcher is even smaller and lighter colored Any ideas on what could be causing this?

All cultivation activity (cooling, watering, feeding, fertilizing, lighting, humidity & constant fresh airflow at 80cfm for a 4 x4 x2 chamber) has been the same since I've recieved it (Oct/Nov), the other neps are doing well.

Thanks for any thoughts!
smile.gif

Which direction are the leaves going in size? Are they getting progressively larger, smaller or neither? Have you changed anything with the lighting, distance to the lights or humidity?
(think I have a good idea what the answer is to these but I had to ask anyway).

I am going to take a stab in the dark.. overfertilization with plant food?

Tony

The leaves are getting bigger (not real big or floppy but progressively larger keeping pace with some of my other slower highlanders). The lighting level should be the same as it's sitting on the same spot on the bench it's been on since I got it. Humidity is the same with the humidistat controlling everything.

Overfertilization? geez I hope not I'm always so careful!
I'm using GroMores Urea Free water soluble orchid fertilizer (20-10-20) diluted to 1/4 strength but perhaps too often? Are certain neps less fertilizer friendly than others (they all get the same regimen) The hamata, rajah, fusca, jfinn, etc... all seem to be happy go lucky pitchering with bigger pitchers and so on, except for the ramispina. There's no burn marks or stains on the leaves and I always heard if you use too much fertilizer your moss will not grow. I've got moss like you wouldn't believe so I assumed the fertilizer was being used light enough. How long can it take for the effects of OF to wear off? The next set of leaves or way down the road? will massive frequent R/O flushings help rid the soil of anything hiding in the recesses of the potting mix?

I read that N. ramispina was an epiphyte so perhaps it would prefer that it's soil dry a bit (meaning becoming just moist) before the next flushing? It's normally wet but not sitting in water, these days I like to use net pots so I can feel the soil on most of my plants and they are always wet but when the live moss dries on the pot tops is when I water.

Thanks for any thoughts!
smile.gif

Back