User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody knows how to grow this nep?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

This is not my picture or my plant, but I am about to get one of this. I have never seen anybody discuss it in this forum so far, but I could be mistaken. that's the reason why I don't name it: I just need to know how to grow it.
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same story as the first one:

I would like to know the growing conditions for this one as well. Thanks

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a search for the first plant, N x Allardii, in the cp database, and the parents of this cross are N veitchii and N maxima. Taking this into consideration, I would try growing this plant in intermediate/highland growing conditions. This is just speculation thought since I have never grown this plant.

The second plant is N pervillei from the Seychelle islands in the indian ocean. I only recently recieved mine, so i don't have much experience with it. From what i've found, they like it hot with lots of sun.

http://www.joachim-nerz.de/pervillei1.htm

Jœl
    http://homepage.mac.com/mindmaze128/...lood forum.jpg
    Joel Martínez
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell you what the plant is in the first picture but I have one that looks almost exactly like it (I can't see how the leaf attaches to the stem in the picture). I call it "N. maxima x ? #1 Red" it only grows and pitchers well in my hottest/brightest lowland chamber: 85-95*F days 70-75*F nights, 80%+ humidity and standing in a shallow tray of water. It grows fast, 4 leaves from the budding of a dormant node it produced a 20cm pitcher. The pitchers on mine don't get any larger than 20-25cm, the leaves on mine is about the same length.
    Growth is very slowly in shade (it does not pitcher in my not as hot not and bright lowland chamber) and will not pitcher or grow barely at all in cool highland conditions which is still brightly lit. I had one in the highland chamber for about 8 months and it did almost nothing but make 2 or 3 leaves.

But that's only if we have the same one. That's the problem with not knowing what you got (or are getting), you gotta experiment til you find what works with that particular plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did a search for the weather in the Seychelles, and the monthly average temperatures range from 75 to 85F, which is very similar to what i experience here in PR (70 to 90F). I'll move my N pervillei to a brighter spot when it makes a few nice leaves. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Jœl
    http://homepage.mac.com/mindmaze128/...lood forum.jpg
    Joel Martínez
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Mindmaze and Swords:
    thanks a lot for your input. The funny thing is that some nepenthes growers consider N X allardii as a highland. if it is in fact a maxima X veitchii, one does not know if the veitchii parent plant is a highland or a lowland. If in fact the veitchii parent plant is a highland, then it should be considered as an intermediate, but if the veichii parent plant is a lowland, the logical thing to do is to grow it as a lowland!!.

Thanks again.
    Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding N. pervillei. the growing conditions does not seem to fit into a typical lowland setting. If you look at the weather map of the Seychelle islands, N. pervillei grows well in the high 70's during the day and in the low 70's at night. In other words there is no major temperature drop at all. Maybe that is why it is so difficult to grow.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically both N. maxima and N. veitchii have lowland and highland forms. So the hybrid could be either or. I would consider all of them to be fairly forgiving and just stick with intermediate conditions and the hybrid should do fine. Odds are that highland forms were used anyway since that is the predominant type in cultivation.

As for N. pervillei... well all I can tell you is it doesn't like highland conditions LOL. The plant I have in my lowland grow chamber seems happy for now. There was a response on the Wistuba forum that said it grows fine until its several inches across. What happens after that I don't know...Perhaps that it is just difficult to get it to a larger size and just continues on as is?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast