Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N jacquelineae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno FB...I didn't ask where who when on how he got them. Rob does claim they have them. As for available soon, I doubt.. Rob does not list plants on his pricelist until they are at least 2-3 inches minimum. Whether or not he lets a couple seedlings go here or there to friends etc would be up to him, but you won't find them on any pricelists soon I am sure.

Joachim I agree the whole plant picture looks like it is not a full sized specimen. Photographs are sometimes hard to judge though. The type description does however say leaves less than/equal to 20cm. I would figure if Charles measured the largest pitchers he found he also measured the largest diameter plant as well. It sounds reasonable to me that a plant 40cm in diameter would make 15cm pitchers without difficulty. (for non cm people thats a 16" plant with 6" pitchers) Perhaps there are larger plants, since it would be impossible to measure every plant in the wild and get the absolute largest measurement.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Fatboy should know the size of the plant - at least I know now what the synonym T. Davis in the first description of N. jacquelineae stands for ;-)

Judging from the surrounding vegetation and the number of leaves the plant on this photo has already grown I would think it is mature. Leaf size and tendril length seem to match the description but the pitches seem to be only about 8cm big.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually if I remember correctly (and to be honest what sticks out most in my mind about finding that plant was lots of hooting and high 5's, and the confused looks on the faces of the 2 local guys that were helping us up the mountain) the plant in that pic was not a particularly huge one.

Charley always tries to get them in situ and absolutely LOATHES ripping off a pitcher and setting a shot up. When he takes pics I usually run around madly finding the biggest and most colourful examples while Charley finds one that is perfect and in a good possie to photograph. As anyone that has done any macro phothraphy would know, the bigger the subject the more difficult it is to get the entire thing in proper focus as the depth of field is so short. That, I think, is why Charley deliberately elects to photograph smaller specimens and at some distance.
    He takes a looong time to set it all up but it shows in the quality of his pics. Having just taken my own 7 year old to see Nepenthes in their habitat I can now finally understand what Charley has put up with when travelling with me!!

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Interesting stuff! This is an old thread, but being quite new to this list, I sort of stumbled across it.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

N. jacquelineae is certainly in sterile culture now, but isn't exactly the easiest species to grow in the lab so far. That gives me hope for cultivation since some species that are slow in sterile culture grow very well once taken out of sterile conditions.

N. jacquelineae has now been discovered on two mountains, one being the type locality and another colony elsewhere. The plants on the second mountain were actually more robust than the plants photographed in Charles' book. Sadly due to incredible unrelenting rain, one of our cameras malfunctioned and the other gave misty shots due to condensation somewhere in the lens system. I'll put some photographs up eventually but they won't win any awards!

N. species 'B' shown in Charles book (I believe soon to be named - when and where Troy?) is also very spectacular.

Of course, there's always a chance that seeds may turn out to be hybrids, that has happened to us before, but let's hope not in this case.

A couple of brave souls in the US are cultivating tiny seedlings of N. jacquelineae and we can look to them for the first cultivation data. Good luck guys!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh those lucky buggers(who have N. jacq)!

Rob I definately wanna see those pics! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Since you're "in the biz" any idea when it will be more widely available (as well as N. klosii)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really hard to say for sure Josh. Around July 2003 is my best guess. A lot depends upon how fast they grow when out of sterile culture. Trials so far look pretty good.

N. klossii is one we don't have (yet). They still have head hunters in Irian Jaya you know! Anyway, I'm hoping to go back to the Philippines one last time first. Gotta go and find the true N. burkei to find out whether the one we have is true or not. Besides, I like scuba diving too...
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ). They still have head hunters in Irian Jaya you know! [/QUOTE]

For real or are you pulling my leg? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

I wish I could afford to go with the guy who owns Orchids Ltd. here in Minnesota on his trips over to Borneo and Sumatra... maybe someday!

A bit off topic but have you any fears of the terrorism going on over there these days? We will be having a TV show called Orchid Hunter on public TV which tells the story of a guy looking for orchids in I think it's Borneo or Maylasia (the show hasn't been on yet) and gets kidnapped by some rebel group.
    For US viewers it will be on your local public television stations. It will be showing Nov 26th on the show Nova for anyone interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

I'm living in Sri Lanka. Peace has broken out here and seems to be holding. There's no anti-American or anti-Western sentiment here at all as far as I can tell. I used to live in Borneo throughout the 1980's and then it was quite a peaceful place except for certain parts of Kalimantan. I used to travel all over the place and never felt threatened. Not so some parts of the Philippines which can be very nasty as you probably know. Mindanao is the nastiest place I have been to. I don't ever want to go back there. Lots of AK-47's in the hands of obviously drunk guards and soldiers.

This friend of yours travelling around, he's not wild-collecting plants is he? If he is he should be aware of CITES and the penalties if he is caught. The rules are rigid and uncompromising and the penalties can be very tough. There's a guy in the US who has just had a huge fine slapped on him for receiving plants through the post from Malaysia with no permits. Claims he didn't even know they were coming, poor guy. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka

9. Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast