What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N jacquelineae

Ah! That's good to know! I only want to buy from certified culture labs and artificial propagators. If the commecial guys are fine then I won't worry. WHat about seed from someone like Allen Lowrie? Is he allowed to be selling CP seed? I just got the catalogue the other day and would like only one of everything....
biggrin.gif
but this discussion has made me a bit wary...

Seed requires permits and certificates as well. All seed is supposed to have a phytosanitary certificate with it. And may or may not need a CITES permit as well depending on the CITES status of the plant.

Drosera are not listed as CITES (if memory serves correct) so would only require that a phytosanitary certificate is sent with the seed. Problem is most people around the world don't know where to go to get a phyto before they ship something... AND there is often a large fee to obtain one. Nothing like spending 50 bucks to get a phyto for a 3 dollar packet of seed.. kinda kills your international business. ;<
Tony

Nepenthes are all on CITES Appendix II except for N. rajah and N. khasiana which are on Appendix I. CITES permits are not required for seeds or pollen of Appendix II plants, but are required for Appendix I plants. I'm sure that Allen Lowrie knows all this.

Phytocerts are an entirely different matter. I'm pretty sure that technically all seeds shipped iknternationally should be accompanied by a phyto, but I'm sure almost no-one bothers. Phyots are governed by different laws and potential penalties than CITES. Seeds of CP's are very less likely to be harboring harmful bugs than say nuts or bulbs. I've actually been refused issue of a phytosanitary certificate in one country for seeds, because the Department of Agriculture concerned thought they would be making fools of themselves if they gave me one for a pinch of such tiny seeds. They told me to "wrap them in my handherchief!"

Hi,

I happened to be reading these posts during a break at work and realized some pertained to me, lol.
 I am the poor guy Rob was referring to. I paid a $2500 fine to the USDA for buying some plants from Malaysia(N. ramispina and large red sanguinea). And yes, I did have an import permit. I was waiting for the stickers(they negelcted to send them-twice) when the guy in Malaysia launched the shipment. Even though had a permit that pre-dated the infraction, and Phyto and CITES are supplied on the other end, since I ordered them, the USDA considered me the catalyst of the whole thing. I might have been able to take this to a hearing and win, but the fine could have gone as high as $10,000 if they thought me guilty. Because the guy lied about the contents, that is called smuggling. Also, a insect crawled into the box, to make things worse.
 I hope that clears some things up.

Joe

Hi Joe,
That's a horrible story! And makes me very nervous about doing any importing of plants even with an import permit and stickers!
Did you have to spend any time in jail?
Did the company who sent the plants not send the phyto and cites stuff that they were supposed to supply and that's why they wrote a different contents on the box?

Josh,

If you have the import stickers and get plants from a reputable place, you are fine. I got some from Malesiana after the incident with no hassle.
Yes, that was it in a nutshell. Obviously with the proper paperwork, this indiviudal would not have lied. Afterwards he said he could not obtain CITES because they are protected in Malaysia(I am thinking now they were wild collected instead of nursery grown).
No jail time
wink.gif

Joe

Back