What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good use for Japanese Beetles

I generally don't like to feed my plants. I like to let them catch there own food, but my Nepenthes don't catch that much. So I catch Japanese Beetles and feed them to my neps. To catch them I go out around 7
wow.gif
0 and knock them off the garden plants.(you have to do it in the morning when there slugish) I then transfer them into a pasta sauce jar with a cotton ball soaked in cleaning alchol in it. Leave them in it for 2 hours. They should be now dead.
Now , because some of my plants have smaller pitchers I pop off there small heads and legs and feed those body parts to the plants. For plants with larger pitchers I chop the bugs in half and feed them to the plant like that.(no matter how big the pitchers are you should chopp the bugs in half ,they digest better like that. If I don't use the dead bugs I put them in my compost pile. Any one else do strange things like this.

BTW, I don't do this juust to feed my plants. Japanese beetles can destroy a garden if not kept in check.

I fed a japanese beetle to my s. mardi gras today... put him in head first and flicked him down, head first into the digestive pool... course... he was alive. Does that make me cruel?
smile.gif

Only to your plant ram... Before I started collecting CPs, I had a pet Japanese beetle (kuz i'm a dorkus, and Iwas young), and it ateleavesand flower petals like ninety... I dunno... Seems to me they eat fast.

U know. I never thought of feeding small pitchers body parts... Good Idea!

well, the pitcher is not complaining... the little sucker is deader than a doornail...

Haha... I still think the cuttin in half idea is smart, and gruesome at the same time....
confused.gif

I wish I could try feeding those beetles to my plants, but anything that big goes to my pet lizard, which happens to like Japanese beetles (I mean, really like them, it can eat 2 or 3 dozen in a day when it is hungry).

confused.gif

I want a lizard... Or a Scorpion... Or a tarantula...

3 days ago I fed my N.Judith half of a beetle and I fished it out today.(with a bent wire) All of the fleh and stuff that used to be on are gone. The pitcher is fine and still smells good. The pitcher looks like soup inside though now.( no fungus or anything though)

Hi All:

I thought I would bump this thread up since my roses are being invaded by these pesky beetles. I crush them first then feed them to my sars and nep plants. Anybody else out there doing this?

crush them? dang-thats care right there! i wouldnt crush food for children! :D

btw, kinda an old thread...

Back