What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland & Ultrahighland terrarium

I have one big enclosure for my Highland and Ultrahighland Neps (and other cloud forest plants) and last night it got down to 45*F with my airconditioner vent thing running. Is it possible to be overchilling the enclosure and harming the highlanders? I'm sure the rajah doesn't mind but what about the others: lowii, hamata, inermis, maxima, ventricosa and fusca? Is it possible to harm them with these kind of temps at night?

Thanks for any thoughts!

No, it won't hurt them a bit. I once had my Rajah,Lowii,Hamata down to 40 with no ill effects. And since it was only 1 night it isn't going to bother them a bit.But if it was like a few weeks then you may notice changes in growth,leaf quality,etc.

You can bring down the night temps really low just as long as there is a rise in the temperature during the day.
smile.gif

I'm assuming I will have temps that cold for months on end as fall/winter will be here soon and I'll still need to artificially chill the tank. There's no problem getting the temp rise in the daytime, I live on the second story and this place gets hot all the time cos I get the heat from the guy downstairs looses.

I finally got my greenhouse humidistat today (but I'm just using it on a big highland enclosure) and am now sitting pretty with automatic humidifying and a "sure" 80% humidity so maybe the auto thermostat will be the next purchase.
biggrin.gif

What I like to do in VERY hot months. IE: July,August. Is I take a styrafoam box shove all my ultra and reg highlands in it (In pots) and put the styrafoam box right in the fridge. It may get chilly in there! (40F) was one reading i had but you can raise the temp inside your refridge a tadto ensure a 45F+ nightime temp and a temp that will not spoil your food!
tounge.gif

That might work but I'd need a fridge quite large in size! I have been thinking of attaching some 1" thick styrofoam insulation from the hardware store on the back and sides of the enclosure to make a giant insulated cooler then I would be able to keep the cold air in for longer and maybe not have to run the AC vent all night.

That could work but then you would have to have a set temperature at what the AC would turn off as not to overchill your plants!
tounge.gif
 Like have it stop at 50F and run at 57. That's what i would do at least. Darn, I wish I had a setup like yours.
sad.gif
I am still thinking of how to automatically cool my terrarium. So I don't have to ice it!  
smile.gif

Thanks for the compliment but ya know, those window ACs are going pretty cheap at these end of summer sales! I saw a 5000BTU one at Wal Mart for $99. If you can force yourself to put the $$ for 3 highlanders asside (it's hard I know) and get yourself one-it's great to not have to worry about it!

All I do is set the AC on a timer to come on about 1 hour after the lights go off so I get some natural/slow heat loss from the lights out and turn off about 4 hours before lights come on. so I get a slow temp rise.
I have a Vicks ultrasonic humidifier's output hose running into the AC's airstream (which is directed through a 4" dryer vent hose) about 1 foot before the terrarium so the air is completely humidified before it hits the tank air. Inside I put a directional 4" dryer output vent so I can change "wind/fog" positions/directions whenever I water. It's not changed often enough to be like real wind but maybe just "that much" closer!
I wonder do they make miniature oscilating fans (3-4")? I have an old reef tank wave simulator that can run 4 powerheads by starting and stopping in just about any time interval, perhaps I could get a few mini oscilating fans and..........!
biggrin.gif

I have seen mini oscalator fans. They are big enough to fit in the palm of your hand and have a 4 inch diamter plastic blade on them. They do work too!
smile.gif
I have only seen them a few places hough but hey, look good in a bigger store like a Wal*Mart or somthing and you may find one!
smile.gif

Then it's off to the discount store I go!
smile.gif

Back