What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flypaper catchings

Well it's August so natutrally my house is buzzing with houseflies. I bought some odor and insecticide free flypaper with the intention of using the freshest caught flies as nep (and other CP) food. I have a pair of forceps that I can pluck them off the sticky "non-toxic" paper with. is there any harm in using the flies after they've been nabbed by this paper if they're fresh catches (i.e. still bouncing about)?

I must admit, I already fed one unhappy fly to my biggest VFT. But what I'm wondering is if this is an OK way to catch bugs for my plants-could the glue hutrt my neps? Anyone else try this?

Thanks for any thoughts!

See, i find this funny. I am sorry htis is off subject but, i just read the plant care sheets. It says you cannot feed your flytrap hamburger or bologna, when we humans feed them flies, FLIES, they eat poop and decaying flesh and they eat vomite, old paper, nails, EVERYTHING. Plus i even test my VFT's (i am a unofical tester, and i hate spelling) heck only 1 out of 15 have died from feeding them people food! And heres the answer about your glue problem, even though its Non-toxic, if there is massive amounts of it on the fly when u feed it, could possibly clog the vft and keep it from opening, or screw up its roots.

He's asking about neps, not VFT, so no need to worry about not opening.

Still, I'd personally advise against it. No expert, but intuitively, it just doesn't seem like a safe idea. We're dealing with the kind of plants that are so sensitive that they get stunned even by a couple extra drops of superthrive. I definitely wouldn't want even the smallest amount of glue going into their system. If you have to do it, make sure you have a backup plant.

Tell us how it goes if indeed you do it.

Leo

Back