What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six inch

Ok, firstly, to all you Drosera forum readers... I'm not ruling that out. I'm just checking options.
wink.gif

What nepenthes can have moderatly cool temperatures, but can also permanently live in a six inch pot? I would prefer on that did not get too tall, but if it did, I would want it to have the shortest internodes possible (limited height for growing room, and I don't like choppin planties up)... Also I would prefer that the diameter of the plant stay small...

Are these viable possibilities?
N. inermis
N. glabrata
N. campanulata
N. adnata

I understand that campanulata is a lowland plant, but i read that it is rather tolerant of slightly lower temps....

Hi Greg,

N. glabrata is nice but it eventually will vine after some time. N. inermis is a good choice, it isn't too big and should remain in the growing area for quite some time. I think adnata wouldn't be to thrilled about low temps...it a more warm grower not truly lowland but near there. N. campanulata would be the same as adnata, not thrilled but I think they would both adapt and grow accordingly to your environment.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 08 2003,5:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Greg,

N. glabrata is nice but it eventually will vine after some time. N. inermis is a good choice, it isn't too big and should remain in the growing area for quite some time. I think adnata wouldn't be to thrilled about low temps...it a more warm grower not truly lowland but near there. N. campanulata would be the same as adnata, not thrilled but I think they would both adapt and grow accordingly to your environment.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Dustin,

where did you get your informations concerning N. glabrata, N. inermis, N. adnata and N. campanulata from?

Especially the growth rate of N. inermis and N. glabrata do interest me. How long does it take before they do start vining and how big are they at this age?

Thanks Joachim

They remain small diameter-wise as well?

Joachim, I am merely answering Greg's question according to my knowledge I have gathered from reading and learning from other growers and my own expierence as well. Reciting my information gathered is what I am doing and trying to help him out in his question of a nepenthes suitable for a 6 inch pot for him. As for where my information is coming from is from books, websites, and other resources, including my own experience in this hobby. As for vining, N. campanulata does not vine but remains a rossette. N. adnata is also not a very viney species, but N. glabrata and N. inermis will vine but not after a few years. So I think Greg will have good success with them for a while, but when they do begin to increase in size and start to vine he will have increase growing area simply. Thanks

I noticed on the Malaysian Tropics website a vined campanulata... It looked more like a rosette on a stick, but anyways, how long does it take before it begins to lift itself above the medium like that? are there notable internodes, or does it sorta stay rosetted like a ping, but EVENTUALLY it will vine?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 09 2003,12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Joachim, I am merely answering Greg's question according to my knowledge I have gathered from reading and learning from other growers and my own expierence as well. Reciting my information gathered is what I am doing and trying to help him out in his question of a nepenthes suitable for a 6 inch pot for him. As for where my information is coming from is from books, websites, and other resources, including my own experience in this hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Dustin,

I don't want to offend you and I know you are doing this in a good sense.

Sadly your definition of knowledge does not match the definition we do use over here. Knowledge is something people over here do base on their personal experience. Citing information gathered somewhere is absolutely OK but has to be marked as such.

In general it is not a good idea to repeat 'facts' gathered from dubious sources and state them as your own facts. Quite often these 'facts' are not true in general or just plain wrong. There is a lot of wrong information around and sadly your posts are often a mirror of this misinformation.

Joachim

Joachim, as far as I can see I never said I do grow the other species, I was only replying mostly to N. glabrata growth habits, as it's the only plant I have in my care of the list of species Greg posted. Also, so you're saying that all sources of info are wrong now? Please do tell me what sources are acceptable to use. BTW, you have not offended me, but please do understand I am not an air head in the cultivation of this species and do grow some of the rarest and most challenging to grow Nepenthes. And belive me, everyone has had their flaws and remember, we all started out on step one.

Place nice you two! <FONT color="#312d7d" face="Viner Hand ITC" size="+3">BONK</FONT>

Tony

Uh oh, we've been malleted now! *Hands Joachim toy truck* Well, you said play nice!
biggrin.gif

I'm still unsure what Tony means by bonk. - The online dictionary brings up a translation for a slang word...
wink.gif

And no Tony, we were not getting into a personal debate - we tried this out already some time ago.
smile.gif

Joachim

Joachim, he's hitting us lightly with the mallet, like a warning, be nice or else.
wow.gif

Just to let you know, I'm most certainly not out looking for fights or enemies either, I consider EVERYONE on this forum a friend to me. Except people that are into Nepenthes are better friends!
biggrin.gif
Just kidding!

NO not that bonk.. the other bonk!

Although if I was talking about the first bonk it would be spelled boink. Now you have me getting all side tracked!

Ok back to the topic at hand.

Greg,
Perhaps you should try something like:
N. fusca Very durable plant for your climate. A small seedling will take a couple years to get large. It will vine slowly when it gets larger but can be cut back.

N. tentaculata A good terrarium plant for intermediate/highland temperatures. It stays fairly small in diameter. It can vine alot when forming upper pitchers but is easily cut back and recovers quickly with basal shoots, forming a nice bushy plant.

N. ramispina Another good candidate for a cool/intermediate terrarium. So far for me they have stayed compact and not overly large in diameter.

I would avoid N. campanulata and N. adnata if your temperatures don't remain lowland.
Tony

Thanks Tony. I'll look into some of that. I might even be able to get fusca here in Canada... I hope he's got them back in stock...

Back