Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My find.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a garden center when I found this nepenthes. I grow 2 different species now, and do not have room for this new one, but my boss said something to me about bringing some plants into work. So what a perfect reason to buy it. It was $19.99. Marked Nepenthes "Alata". It looks to be from other pictures I've seen Nepenthes 'ventrata' which is a hybrid between Nepenthes ventricosa and Nepenthes alata. The pitchers are about 6".
    My office has no windows. I took in a 4' - 2 40 watt bulb shop light fixture with a warm and a cool bulb. I think I've read on these forums that is a good bulb mix. I hope it will be enough light for it to grow. I mist it around 4 times a day so it can get used to the less humid air. I added a bowl with water under the hanging pot to also help with increasing the humidity. I have read differnt opinions on that.... certainly could not hurt. And of course took a cutting in case it did not make it.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't offer much help on what species it is, still a bit fuzzy on all the verying distinguishing points, but WOW! pretty!
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a very healthy ventrata! Good find!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very healthy ventrata, or European "alata." Being my first confusing ID question, and having two, I'm almost positive on that one.

They like humidity over 50% certainly. There's no way around it. More would be better. Ours hasn't dropped below 60% in so long I can't remember, usually it's higher. Misting all the time, I think, helps.

I've found them to be pretty heat and light tolerant. I've had to cook some in the Florida sun due to space considerations. Some of them can withstand more light than I thought any nep could. I've had -- cuttings -- of the ventrata grow in too much light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool , nice ventrata , good luck keeping it healthy in an office but if you do i'm sure your boss will be amazed . too bad i don't see neps that big over at my garden center .