Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sphagnum shmagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can get a kiddie pool, drill some holes about an inch or so from the bottom. Then put regular Canadian sphagnum wet in the bottom of the pool up to that level....Try and keep the pool out of the direct sun. Break up little bits of live sphagnum and stick it all over the peat in the bottom. Make sure the peat in the bottom stays wet. Before long, the bits will start growing and eventually fill the whole kiddie pool with sphagnum. It will take awhile for it to get two or three inches long so you can pick out what you need. You should always have ample that way. Good luck.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been trying to resurrect dry sphagnum moss for the past two months. I have some in zip lock bags in outside shade and some exposed to full light. I have some in semi-enclosed containers in full sun and some in partial sun. The ones in the shade and full sun are not growing [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    One container in full sun, however, has some green moss-like growth, but does not seem to be growing longer or taller. Two containers in the partial sun (morning and late PM sun) are showing small scatter green moss growth like the container in full sun, and appears to be growing in length, but very sloow.
    I don't know if they are sphagnum. I know what full mature sphagnum moss looks like, but not young ones. Anybody got pics of young sphagnum? So many small mosses look alike.
    Basically, my success with resurrecting dried sphagnum moss is a hit n miss deal. Any tried and true experiences out there that you can share with me would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey yal, thanks so much for all your replies... I'm still curious where one can buy the green (live) stuff [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] if not grow it from dry? And for how much $moola$?

WayCool:
    Is your moss just soaked in water, or also on a medium? I think a common theme in most of the replies, so far, is that the wettened sphagnum is on like peat or peat& sand...

I think I'm going to try that approach.

Keep in touch about your experiments, mmmkay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sphagnum are soaked only in water.

My belief is that a medium should not matter, since regeneration is a result of "spore" germination from the dried sphagnum moss.

I will continue with soaking in water only method for the rest of this summer. If the small moss growth fails to grow into mature sphagnum moss, I will try next year with the medium method.

This will be a long and slow experiment, so don't expect an update till close to the end of summer [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12