User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Greenhouses for northern climate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking (well, dreaming at the moment) about setting up a large greenhouse 30' x 100' to start my own business of selling tropical plants (Cps and other oddities), fish and reptiles. I've been searching online for greenhouses and one type sounds and looks like a good deal from http://www.growitgreenhouses.com (no endorsement intended just for refferance as to what I think is what I could use I'm looking at the System 1 30' x 96' http://www.growitgreenhouses.com/com.../30x96_1.html) but I'm wondering if it's enough to withstand a MN winter (rare but occasional -10*F to -30*F in January). They come prefab with oil or gas fired heater, fans, gables, twin layer poly, inflator fan, circulation fans motorized vents and exhaust fans (evaporative cooler extra but I would get one) there is light construction to do including floor and baseboards but no problem. I was also wondering about water and electricity hookups for a semi permanent structure like a commercial greenhouse?

At the moment I'm only dreaming (as I said) but if anyone would like to give me some of their experiences to read and think about it would be greatly appreciated Even if I never get around to actually setting up a greenhouse I'd like to know what I have to do.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im always dreaming too far ahead, when i was 10 i was in a big house made of glass with plants ive never seen,
    now that i think about it they looked like nepenthes i was also grown up and benching 600 on a bench in the same room
    BEFORE i knew of excercise,,,,, isnt it funny how dreams come true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you ever bench 600, let me know, I'll call guiness...

Swords,

Phil, Jeff, and myself are all texans, so I doubt we can give you any advice on growing in -10f temps... but I can tell you that Phil and Jeff just got done building a new green house, so maybe they can help you.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is mainly for my own knowledge and "dreaming" purposes while I'm standing at my inserting machine at the junk mail factory for 12 hours a night.