What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I have a question about the Nepenthes pichter fluid.

My current problem is, that my plants are growing nice and very fast, but the pitchers have very few fluid in it. Only the bottom is covered with a very thick fluid (when the pitcher has just opened).

The plants are:

two not IDable hybrids, truncata x ventricosa, x ventrata, rafflesiana alba x ampullaria.

all lowlanders which are have a temprature around 25 - 35° C the whole day and always above 80% humity.

Any tips?

EDIT: sorry the "fluit" was buggin me so I changed it to fluid
wink.gif

what i do is i take a eye dropper and get a cup of distileld water and fill up the eye droper then you sqeeze the end into the pitcher top and sicne its nice and small it goes in, for big pitchers i use the cup to fill it up, you want to fill it up with distileld water to about HALF the pitcher size, and then in a week or 2 it takes the water and makes it into the toxins that digests the fly, this happens in the wild with rain entering the pitcher, but only fill up to half way with distilled water

hope this helps

-stefano

Its been a long time since you last posted......... I was kind of wondering where you were.......
confused.gif

i was on vacation, sorry i didnt say anyhting, heh, im back now and thanks tristan for wondering, makes me feel at home here

How often do you water your plants? maybe they are not getting enough water from the media to maintain their pitcher levels?

can you describe your setup to us again?

thanks...

Hi, I was just wondering if you should also add distilled water to sarracenia, because I will receive one soon in the mail, and I'd assume the pitchers are empty.

The temprature is about 25 - 35 ° C over a day with a humity about 80%. The soil is average wet, but since the plants are growing well, I guess this is not the problem (as I know, most Neps dont like wet feet).

@BuMbOiMk

only to a purpurea or hybrids where the lid is open. If the plants protects itself against rain, dont insert water.

yes, they have a lid to not get filled with water all the way, BUT you can still fill the pitcher with distilled water about half way up the pitcher and they will take the water and make it into there toxin to digests the insects, you can also do this with sarracenia

Hey ElTunnel

From what I've seen on my plants, it seems that there isn't supposed to be too much water inside the pitchers. My N khasiana pitchers are like 6 inches tall, but only have something like 1 inch or less of fluid at the bottom. The same thing with my rafflesiana, just a little bit less than an inch of fluid in a 4 inch pitcher. I think that if your plants are growing well, you shouldn't worry too much about the fluid level in the pitchers. You could try to pour a little bit of water in the pitchers though, since in nature older pitchers tend to fill up with water as they age. Just an idea!
smile.gif

Joel™

okay I will put a little water in my pitcher plants!

Ahahah somebody changed the topic title...
I thought that pitcher fluit was "cp lingo" for the fluid inside...I didn't know it was a typo~

Back