Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thought on humidity and plant age

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys...

I have a Gublers Nepenthes that is about 8 inches from tip to tip, and it's currently hardening off in my living room, where the humidity was higher, and has recently dropped do to the weather.

I am going to buy a large square basin, fill it with river pebbles and then fill that with water, and set that nepenthes, the two ventricosa, and my wifes phaleonopsis orchid on there, it should raise the local humidity a tad...

But my thoughts wandered, obviously, this won't matter much in a year or three, when the plant has significantly grown in size, and it's pitchers buds are far from the water filled tray...

SO... Do you think that the more moderate plants can cope with a greater lack of humidity, to a degree, the larger they get? For instance, will N. Ventricosa at 5 years be able to take a lack of humidity better than one that is only 8 inches across?

My gut says yes, thicker tissues and all.. but I am not sure...
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rampup, the older they get the more demanding the plant is going to be on its needs
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm interesting question. I think by the time a Nepenthes is several inches it is pretty set as far as leaf thickness etc. So the difference then would be more leaf size/surface area as it grows to maturity. If the plant can handle growing and pitchering out on a windowsill at this small size then it will also as it grows larger. And viceversa for one that can't.

My 2 coppers worth ;>
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll be alright. The plant will be growing out of the tray, if u knowwhat I mean... its not like your missing the acclimatization stage... its acclimatizing itself, u know?

My gubler's nep ( x ventrata i think) is just sitting there in my bedroom... Its doing very well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey