What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another question about permits

• Thread starter monkeyman
  • Start date
I just got my permit and I didn't get any stickers with it.All I got was seven little green and yellow tags.
confused.gif

I know I got the right permit, but I don't know what to do with these little tags. Can anyone help me out here?
confused.gif

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

Mike,

Yeah, I can tell you where to put those stickers....
Actually, what you do with them is send one to whatever foreign nursery you are purchasing from and they stick it on the box of plants you are getting, for quick reference for USDA inspectors. Malesiana Tropicals requires me to send a copy of my permit(I fax it to them).
Funny thing, I just found out I have the wrong permit, so now I have to get another to get CITES plants(Nepenthes).

Regards,

Joe

Hey Joe what permit do you have? I have form PPQ 597 it came with the stickers/tags as well as a large packet of CITES information. When I requested my permit I listed all the plant families asw ell as countries of import orgin I intended to import in hopes they would send me the correct paperwork.

I did the same thing, and I don't want to wait another two + weeks to get the freaking stickers
mad.gif
. Exotica Plants isn't even holding my plants anymore
mad.gif
mad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
. Was I supposed to put what country the plants were grown in, or endemic to? Whyyy.

When you're filing for your permit it asks which countries you will be importing from and another section asks what plants you intent to import. I used a seperate sheet and typed out all the genus' of plants which I may eventually import (even if I have no immediate plans to buys those plants now) and the addresses of each supplier or at least the names of countries I may eventually accuire plants from.

Basically find the correct form on the USDA website and give them as complete information that you can so they know exactly what you want from them.

You ask "whyyy." These are rare and endangered species in the wild and they want to be sure that these plants were not poached from their natural sites. It is fairly obvious if you have a plant in a sterile flask or a 1" seedling that they were not plucked from the wild but artificially produced. However, these are the rules the customs/feds have in place to protect the plants. These people are hardcore and are not going to bend just a little for anyone who claims they just "didn't know". When dealing with them it pays to do things exactly by the book cos they like to say: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".

I received some invitro VFTs and Drosera (still in vials today) before I had my permit but I was under the impression I didn't need any of that stuff if they were still sealed in sterile vials. I was wrong but I was also lucky. Any plant material entering the USA must 1st arrive at a recipient who has a permit. If you work through a foreign plant supplier who has a US representitive then you won't have to fuss with all this.

Well, I know I have the right permit, so I guess I haveto wait for the stickers. Just taking too long...

Nathaniel, the stickers should of came w/ your permit and other paper work. call the ladie back up and find out what happened to them. they might of forgot to put them in with the stuff.

Sorry to say that is not the right permit. it's the same one I currently had(and yes, I had to call twice to get those stickers you mentioned).
The permit you need is general permit PPQ 621, for CITES plants. the one you have allows you to import all other but CITES. It takes 10-15 days for the 621 to be issued and is valid for two years. The cost is $70. The USDA was nice enough(for once) to give me a break on the last batch I got and push it through, but if I do it again without a 621, I am in deep doo-doo, as they have my name flagged. I have a order at Malesiana ready to go, but I can't pay for it without physically having the permit, because that is cheating in the eyes of the USDA. With my case on that $2500, I was waiting for the permit to arrive(It had been issued days before the plants were nabbed) when the guy just went ahead and mailed them. I had sent payment before physcially having the permit.
In short, please don't get impatient, as it is just not worth it. Get the right permit in your hands before you do the ordering.

Regards,

Joe

That's the one I was afraid I'd have the get, the one you gotta pay for!
wink.gif

Since it is winter no one ships to Minnesota anyway so I've got plenty of time to get the permit I guess! Thanks for giving the form #!

I guess I got the wrong permit.
sad.gif
Sigh... Now I have to save up 70$.
sad.gif
This Sucks.....

Hello,

I am in the process of getting an import permit as well. Before I mailed in my application today I called the office to clarify some things. I asked if the genus nepenthes was covered under the permit form PPQ 597. I was told that yes they are, but they are on CITES so I was asked if they are for personal use or profit. This seems to be the key as I understand it. For personal collection / growing the general import permit (PPQ 597) covers CITES plants including nepenthes. However, if the CITES plants are for reselling (profit) then a $70 CITES permit is required (PPQ 621). Therefore I was told by the USDA office that PPQ 557 is all that is needed for the import of nepenthes for personal collection. The USDA website also states this (but not so matter of factly).

Matt Miller

I don't need it. Exotica Plants already provides the CITES and photosanitary, so as soon as I get those darn stickers, I'm set
smile.gif

You know your addicted to CPs when you'll (reluctantly) deal with a goverment bureaucracy to get them!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
And boy! are you guys addicted. I'm Not!!!..................yet.

Matt,

I am going to ballistic if what you say is true! The biologist who I talked to from the USDA in California really sounded unconvinced that I was ordering these plants just for me and not for selling, even though he gave me a one-time exemption, and said I needed the 621.

Regards,

Joe

Form 587 for an import permit for plants and plant products gives you your PPQ 597 import permit. It cost nothing and is good for 4 years. This is the one that comes with the green/yellow stickers. Everyone who imports MUST have this. If someone asks for your import permit.. this is what they want.

Form 621 which gives you a General Permit PPQ622 is for businesses and cost $70 for 2 years. This does not come with any stickers. This one is optional if you are not reselling the plants. However as Joe pointed out. Most ports of entry are not aware that this General Permit is not needed by hobbyists. Having this permit absent from a shipment often causes many problems and delays. As well as alot of convincing your only a hobby person, before they will release your package. Importing more than a few plants or more than once or twice a year without the General Permit will likely raise eyebrows as well.
I would recommend you get this one also simply to avoid problems at the inspection station even if your not a business.

Tony

Thankyou for clearing that up Tony. I guess I'll wait untill I have another $70.
sad.gif
Better safe than sorry.
wink.gif

Mike
smile.gif

I personally don't think I could wait any longer
confused.gif
sad.gif

Back