What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes mirabilis 'echinostomata'

Weird! I finally got one of these Neps and upon close inspection I see the leaf margins are somewhat serrated like a steak knife! I don't remember ever hearing about this, is this simply a trait of the seedlings or will this continue through the plants life?

A while back somebody reported the same thing, except they got their nep at lowe's. It's weird because their exact words were "serrarted like a steak knife". Even though I have a hybrid with this nep, (Thanks Tony!
biggrin.gif
) I haven't noticed anything unusual about the leaves, besides the hair growing out of the leaf margins.
confused.gif
Pics?

Mike
smile.gif

Maybe on a small plant the hairs from the leaf margins just look like serrations? Mine is only 6 cm across or so...

I was talking with Mike Catalani while looking at one of his many N. mirabilis and he said that most all of the N. mirabilis have a "serrated" edge or ruffled appearance. The typical, winged, red, echinostoma, all had this appearance when I was looking at them.

DId he have any big ones? I'd like to see what this looks like on a mature plant if it stays throught the plants life!
smile.gif

Yeah he had a formidable sized N. mirabilis "winged" in which the leafes looked like a giant leaf steak knife.
smile.gif
I minght be able to get my scanner fired up sometime this week to scan the pic I took of it....time is limited with work but I might be able to squeeze it in.

Wow! That'll be interesting - giant green steaknives! I wonder why no books seem to mention this, maybe I just didn't notice in the texts?

If you don't get the photo up it's no big deal, I'm just glad to know what to expect from this plant . A Nep I always considered kinda "boring", at least in comparison to my favorites!

smile.gif

Currently N. mirabilis is the only Nepenthes species which exhibits fimbriate leaves. So if a species is showing this characteristic then it keys out as N. mirabilis. However, it is not evident 100% of the time so the lack of fimbriate leaves does not preclude a plant from N. mirabilis designation.

Tony

Back