What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lady bugs in my terrariums

Lately Lady Bugs have been getting into my house somehow and several have ended up in the terrariums. Since they are used as biological controls for pests in some greenhouses I figured it's OK to leave them in there til they eventually fall into the pitchers. Is this safe (let them do themselves in) or should I catch them and put them into the pitchers?

I would probably just leave them alone in there until they fall into the pitchers, since they won't be any harm to your plants.
biggrin.gif

What a lucky break! They(and their larva) eat aphids, so there is no downside to having them in there.

Regards,

Joe

Cool. That's really good news. Like the Grif said, they and their young both feed ravenously on aphids. So they will serve a dual purpose of pest control (assuming you have pests
wink.gif
) and plant food.

Cool, thanks for the confirmation of safety of leaving them in there. They are pretty bettles (some are normal orange and black and some are all orange with no spots) and if they aren't gonna hurt anything I will welcome their presence. Some females did appear to be laying eggs as they were walking around with their ovipositors sticking out (but I didn't see any actual eggs). The Lady bugs in the highland tank sleep in the curl of the unfurling leaves as the tank has begun to get quite chilly at night now (my first 48*F night of the new season last night).

I have two big mantis eggs which could be hatched in the warm terrariums but they will need extra food than the rare aphid or fungus gnat.

Is anybody else keeping insects with their plants as a side attraction?

cool , i have the same thing happening over here except its with praying mantis and there so cool .everywhere i go outside enar my house i can see different types of mantises . the typical gren forms , the pinkish brown form , a hybrid between those 2 , and the chinese type . so far i have seen the pink type breed with the chinese type , i can't wait til i find eggs then i'll be able to see what there offspring will look like . they are taking care of the fly problem but i hope they leave some flies left for my cps
biggrin.gif
, praying mantis are so cool .

Mantids are the only bugs I can actually say that I like! Just because they are so wildly alien looking. I do not know what species I have since I haven't hatched them yet it was just two eggs for a cheap price so I bought them. I've stored them in the fridge for a while now (to keep them from hatching) I think I will try hatching them and set them loose in the nep tanks I don't fear if they all get eaten by the plants or themselves. It will just be neat to have some live ones at least for a while. I have to first set about covering all the exits as my GF would not be happy to find a herd of mantids parading through the living room!
wink.gif

Back