Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes alata cutting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a cutting from one of my Nepenthes alata plants on 10/8/2002. I placed the cutting in a plastic cup with rain water up to the first node of the cutting. Today, 10/15/2002, I noticed two small roots starting to grow from the side of the stem.

I am very pleased with speed at which this cutting has started to root. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I may end up doing this to a few more of the climbing stems.

Well, thanks for reading this...

Nick
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one week thats fast. i just put n.Gracilis in a cup of rain water on 8/12/02 want to race? i'll let ya know long it takes
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys, I have yet to take a cutting of any of my plants... can you tell me, how long do you usually wait (on average) before taking a cutting? Size wise I guess, height in plant, size in pitcher... I realize that it's subjective for each type, but in general?
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rampup, wait until the main stem looks brownish and hard as wood. my plant is like 2 yrs old with alot or runners
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, my Ventricosa X Maxima is about 2 years old, and has about a 6 inch woody stem... but no offshoots down there...

I wonder if I should buy some of that kiko paste or whatever, and try to force some nodes down there to activate...

I never thought about this... but will nodes activate where it has gone 'woody'?

I know it's immature... but I laugh at that... hehh hehhh... :|
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

If I can grow plants for cutting, anybody can.
    I take two cutting for n.x.ventrata and implant those in sphagnum moss. I wait for 3-4 weeks and whats happened=both cuts has grown roots.
    I know that n.x.ventrata is easy to grow for cutting and many others species are very to grow but still I win this time..(I had little luck).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alata is very easy to root. I took cuttings of ventricosa, khasiana and alata, the alata is by far the most "productive" of the bunch. I have one cutting that has produced a 1.5" pitcher, while all the other cuttings have yet to show any signs of wanting to grow any pitchers.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RamPuppy cuttings are easy to take and depending on the desired out come of the the plant which you cut and the cutting there is no rule of thumb on the on a good time to cut. If you have a good sized plant that has about 1 cm between each leaf then depending on the plant the cutting should take root and the cut plant should recover quickly even if it has only one growing point. There are other ways to take Nep cuttings that would increase the chances of survival of the cutting. A 6 in woody stem with about 1 cm between each leaf should work perfectly for a cutting. At one point I was wondering the same thing (If nodes will activate where it is woody) and the answer is yes. If photoclub or whatever worked i would show you my N. gracilis with just that happening. If you are growing your N. ventricosa x maxima in fair conditions then it should make a full recovery with multiple growing points. Nepenthes are harder to kill then most people think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast