What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worm or bug problem?

My unknown hybrid has a worm problem I think. I picked up the pot this morning and 2 little red worms crawled out of the drain holes in the bottom of the pot. Both of them were about an inch in length. And yesterday a new leaf completely unfurled and now it is wilted, and all of the leafs are turning a little red. I treated it with a little orthene to see if that would help.
Would should I do. Has anyone had a problem like this??
John

what i would do is put the worm in the pitchers after i cut them up. then i would repot the plant in a diff mix but, keep as much mix around the roots as possible

If the worms are causing the problem, you won't get rid of them unless you repot, and you'll have to wash the soil completely off the roots to be sure they're gone. This will hurt your plant, but it's the only way I know of to be rid of worms.

In your situation, I'd take the plant out of the pot and check the roots to see if they're ok. It's better to be sure that the roots are ok and shock the plant a little than to have it die due to a destroyed root system. If you do find lots of worms in the pot, wash off as much of the soil as you can and repot. You might want to spray a little orthene after you repot. If on the other hand everything looks fine, you can spray orthene on the plant just to make sure that any worms that are around there are gotten rid of.

Jœl

Ahh man, I hate repotting I would hate to lose this plant or put it in shock it is getting pretty big. Is there another way to kill worms without repotting??
I might.. take the whole clump of soil out of the pot and look to see if there are any more, If those were the only 2 worms in the pot ya think the plant will be ok? I assume that worms hurt the roots when they crawl around under the soil right?
John

you could try submerging the plant underwater for a day or so...

Back