Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes feeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaron,
    The Can O' Crickets (and all other can O products) are actually pasturized(!) insects that are in a sealed can. Storage after opening is reccomended to be refrigeration to preserve the food. I use these with some of my reptiles, and have fed them to the bigger pitchered plants like ramispina and x Judith Finn. Seems to be a nice feeding, but in my experiance, as long as the right food-plant size ratio is obeyed, all plants benefit from all of the foods I listed earlier.

Actually need to go feed the plants about now. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

~JM~
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JM,

I had a quick look on the Zoo Med site and their range seems to have increased:

Can O Grasshoppers
    Can O Snails
    Can O Worms
    Can O Crickets
    Can O Mini Crickets
    Can OPillars
    Can OMini Mealies

I feel these may be the most convenient method for me to feed my plants at this stage (not willing to try fertilisers just yet) as being in a large sealed glasshouse not too many bugs make it in there.

Last question... how long do they keep in the fridge for after opening?

Will give them a go.

Aaron.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... why do neps need protein at all? they don't have muscles...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They keep for up to a few months as long as they are opened enough to keep them from getting "stale"...

John
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nepenthes can convert the protein into usable energy.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feed all my Neps with a pillbug ever two or three weeks. God i pamper them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an amendment to my earlier post.....

I did not end up using any prepared foods. I tried one batch of live crickets but found that all just too fiddly (not to mention the cost). I tried adding 1-3 drops per pitcher of skim milk in a few, but did not like the reaction (some browned and some got mould).

In the end good old Mother Nature took over the feeding for me.

With my glasshouse now being almost 8 months old I have had several colonies of small black ants settle in the gravel base. They seem to have some in due to the warmth and copious amount of available nectar. The ants in turn feed My Neps.

In most cases, once a pitcher starts producing nectar, it only takes a few days to get a nice fill of ants.

I also have the roof vent open 24/7 at the moment so there is also a constant stream of other flying bugs (namely wasps) coming into the glasshouse.

There is also a large number of spiders moving in (presumably in response to the ants and other insects) so Id imagine some end up being food as well.

Great to see that the Neps have needed up taking care of themselves!

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron, allowing the plants to accomplish what they were designed to do, I also find is the best method. I definately agree that feeding crickets to each pitcher can be quite fiddly, especially if you have ALOT of mouths to feed.

As for the skim milk method, the plants would not normally receive this for nutrition, and also leaves a pungent smell in your pitcher and maybe growth of unsightly mould.

You will find that with some spiders, they will make their home in an old pitcher to get their fair share of the ants. hehe.

I was quite surprised when I peered into the pitcher of my khasiana today and found a little lizard. He probably fell in whilst attempting to get some bugs. That's the food chain for you! And I don't know how well the pitcher is going to digest it but I'll see how it goes over the next week.

C