Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes feeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who use fish food or koi pellets, do you just drop a pellet or a few flakes into the pitcher? Or do you have to do something to prepare them first?

Thanks. This would be an easy method to use -- I ran around the house tonight and caught a fly for one of my vft's -- yum, yum.

cpwitch
    \"Change is good -- you go first!\" Anon.
    Be sure to visit my website at: http://www.angelfire.com/magic/galengillotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just put the flake directly in. That's easier said than done, however, because it has a tendency to adhere to the nectar, so you have to be careful to not let it touch the pitcher as you put it in.

Depending on the size of the pellets, i think it would be wise to break them up. CPs don't have the elaborate grinding and pulverizing digestive system we do, and any large chunks are likely to rot before they are digested.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Nepenthes are in a large terrarium. I feed them and water at the same time once a week. I give mealworms to maybe half the traps of both my large sprawling N. khasiana x ventricosa and N. ampullaria. For my younger Neps I give them just 1 mealworm.

I have also noticed that once seedlings get to the size where they can take an ant, fruitfly, or baby mealworm that it really helps the growth - with traps doubling or tripling after a few months.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feed mine Box Elder Bugs. I have so many on my property I will never run out! They literaly cover the sunny side of my house in the fall! My plants seen to like them, no rot.

I feed new pitchers once they have fully formed. I give them one bug. I don't feed them agian but wait for the next new pitcher to form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (cpwitch @ June 27 2003,05:48)
    For those who use fish food or koi pellets, do you just drop a pellet or a few flakes into the pitcher?[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I just drop them in. The pellets that I buy are designed to dissolve in water after a few minutes. When they are in the water, they absorb water like a sponge and fall apart easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some similar sticks that I feed my turtle with, I have already given it to some pitchers for a test. I also got a lot of Gammarus pulex which I can use for feeding. But they have almost the same amount of proteins and minerals anyway.

Is fat good or bad for nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no shortage of flies here for the summer. One sunny afternoon with the French doors open on the balcony and I have plenty.

I have also tried a drop or two of non-fat milk as was once suggested in a thread. It worked WONDERS! I was amazed at the growth spurt in my n.alata.

Holden
    ...No snowflake ever lands in the wrong place...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i feed my neps ( and other cp's ) superthrive once in a while , i mist them with a diluted portion of it which seems to be beneficial . sometimes i catch bugs and feed it to them which also seems ok but i don't see much happenin after . since my anole lizard died a year ago and i still got a jar of zoo meds anole lizard food which is flys with vitamins and whatever they put in there . its seems to work very well and i feed it to my plants whenever they look hungry . i sometimes feed them carnivorous fish food pellets too which seem to work well also .

9. Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast