Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes feeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goldtrap, while Superthrive has certain B-complex vitamins, it doesn't supply all important nutrients. I would suspect it will not work long-term.

If the pitchers start to smell after feeding them with fish food, you're overfeeding, and it's rotting. That's true of overfeeding, regardless of the food, although i do realize that fish food starts out kinda smelly. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never feed any of my neps, or any other of my carnivorous plants for that matter. They feed themselves. All of my terrariums are infested with fungus gnats and springtails. Although they are small, they make up their size with sheer quantity. Sometimes I find 50 or more bugs in a pitcher! Another plus is that both lower and upper pitchers are fed.(IE Fungus gnats in uppers & Springtails in lowers.) So I get a continual feeding of every pitcher in every terrarium without rot. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I have no garden, so if I wanted to search some nice prey for my plants, I would have to run around in some park or something. Which kind of dried animal food is good for sundews and nepenthes?

What about crustacea (Gammarus pullex)? You can buy them dried as food for turtles. Does anyone use these? Should I put them in water befor I feed them to my nepenthes?

Good growing!
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used freeze dried crickets in the past. Hard to say how they do compared to fresh food but I figure it is better than nothing.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had the guts to try this yet(though I got a used blender in case I want to), but I have heard some people got good growth by putting crickets in a blender with some water, blasting them, and then running this solution through cheese cloth to remove all the chitonous bits. Then they used a dropper to feed the solution to the pitchers.
    I won't get any takers on having a margarita party at my place, but the plants would be happy [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a variety of freeze dried or otherwise canned insects these days at most reptile suppliers. The price of a can of freeze dried crickets compared to a wholesale sack of just fed live crickets (which can be frozen and kept that way) are a lot more when you count the cost per cricket. Of course, if you have just one or two plants a huge bag of frozen crickets might be overdoing it a little!

Someone asked about fat, I've heard that may be what causes the pitchers rot when they are fed things like bloodworms, superworms and moths. However, Khai (an old forum member) claimed to have fed toads to the large display truncatas at Orchids Ltd. without rotting and toads would certainly contain more fat than a moth. I can not verify this as I wasn't there but the trucata pitchers are enormous and woody and perhps they could deal with the heavy prey items such as this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure your right about the cost of live vs canned/freeze dried. I got the freeze dried simply for convienence since I don't have a freezer at the greenhouse to store stuff. I also tend to not follow a rigid feeding program. I run around the greenhouse and try and feed new pitchers that have opened since I last ran around.. Sometimes I toss a small amount into previously fed pitchers also. I figure I would rather have the plants growing strongly even if it means I lose a pitcher here and there by overfeeding. Worst case scenario the plants I lose a pitcher but the next set the plant produces will be that much bigger and showier!

I have used dried bloodworm without any problems so not sure what the deal is there. I have tried various fish foods with some success. I found though that pitchers would blacken with it easily. I suspect that some fish food has high mineral/salt content which is the culprit. Some Nepenthes are deffinately more tolerant. N. truncata is like shoeleather.. you could toss in just about anything and it wouldn't flinch.

Tony

You should see me trying to stuff one of them tiny ants into a 1cm baby Nepenthes pitcher LOL...
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee that's a nice plant Tony. What is it? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] Also, is that perlite I see around the base of the plant or something else perhaps?

Just passing by...
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast