Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes feeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,
    Since my Neps are outdoors, they do pretty well for themselves catching ants, flies, and other stupid insects that fall prey to them. Occasionally I will supplement with mealworms and flies that come into my house. For my lowlanders on the windowsills, I supplement with mealworms and flies that make it into the house. I usually leave a door or two open when I'm out back gardening to induce flies, but most people aren't as nuts as I am. So stick with the mealworms cuz you can keep them in your fridge for many months and they don't stink!

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Joel and thanks for your input! Personally I would say.. eccentric instead of nuts hehe. I think Nep G raises and uses meal worms also.

Stephano and Cindy I have used freeze dried crickets and bloodworms. Both seem to do ok. I have not tried the canned crickets but don't see any reason why they would not be fine.. other than storing them after opening the can. (which is why I have tried to find something dried and easily stored). I have also tried various fish food pellets high in protein etc. In most cases they cause my pitchers to brown at the fluid level which leads me to believe I am causing secondary fungus/bacteria growth in the pitchers. Perhaps from overfeeding or just due to the rapid decomposition of these types of food compared to insects with hard exoskeletons. So far I have not found a substitute for live insects that gives at least equivalent results. I have since given up trying to find an insect substitute since it is not a practical way for me to feed in my situation.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Joel:

I see you have become an addition to this important forum. I hope you enjoy it as much as most of us do.

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've given my ventricosa about 2 drops of milk per pitcher once a month. The up side is it grows 3 times faster, the downside is that if you damage the piture or get the milk on a non-digestive part the piture browns up healf way right away and stays part alive for the rest of it's lifespan, lol. But still, 3 TIMES FASTER!... OMG I'm overdue for feeding... (2% works best)... Oh and I can feed my new baby!

Edit: Cindy, tadpoles are vegitarians. That smell is probubly kelp, either that or the food deliverd future kidney failier with the legs, lol.

Others: I've found that canivorious fish food pellots and milk work about the same, except milk is digested faster and doesn't mold up on me as often. My Ventricosa with milk had very similar results in color and size as the above plants with the slow release fertilizer.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooo i gotta try this milk thing, any idea if itll work with other neps?
    Expression = Maneuverability x Coiffure squared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting phenomenon about the milk, anyone care to translate that to insect equivalents?

I don't usually feed my neps, they catch their own food, but I was wondering, I recently bought a N. Gentle which does not seem capable of catching its own food. It produces no discernible nectar, there is little liquid in the pitchers, and I doubt the liquid has any digestive capabilities.

Question is, to feed, or not to feed?

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I know many people who feed their Nepenthes with milk. In Germany there were many articles and hints on websites on this subject. A friend of mine grows ~ 30-40 Nepenthes in big show-cases, some of them already in flowersize. He feeds them with milk on a regular basis and it is obvious how fast the plants grow. So why do you hesitate to try it? The plants want the same nutrients as a mammal.

Jan

Here you find a german article on milk feeding: http://www.carnivoren.org/de....ng.html
    (you can translate it with google or babelfish)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it was quite an interesting read after translation! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] I think I got the meaning though. Thanks for sharing!

SF

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast