Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes feeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite sure how to translate the webpage...

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About a week ago, I gave all of my sarracenia, pings, dews, and neps some 2% milk diluted with 1/5 water (um, 4 parts milk, one part water). Anyway, it was really cool. Before I knew it, the D. capensis's tentacles had completely moved to the center of the leaf, and a couple of minutes later, the leaves completely curled around the milk. I then gave some to my red dragon vft, and the trap closed tight on the milk, and a couple of days later, was completely absorbed. All the vfts and sarracenia I fed are now making bigger traps then before, and are growing faster (many leaves [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ). I am very pleased with the results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've fed neps a Can-o-Crickets. That is the only supplementary feeding I've done. I fed some dying but well-sized pitchers on some large plants I got from local nurserys.

This is probably a good thread to note for anyone that is interested all the bugs my lowland neps catch here in Florida. Whatever works in the Old World seems to work pretty well here also:

Flies of every type, gnats, spiders, crickets (on their own as well as hand fed), flying ants, love bugs, misc. weird and pretty large bugs I'm not quite sure of (one was a big http://www.insects.org/entophiles/he.../hemi_009.html assassin bug, I recently figured out) and -- YES! -- even the occasional stupid mosquito. I saw two floating (meaning "fresh meat") in pitchers this morning.

I did like the results I got from hand feeding crickets to the larger plants. All of them began growing better. Part of that was better conditions, but food did not hurt.

caerbannog
    Here in San Diego, the late-sumer-to-early-fall house invasions of those little black Argentinian ants are finally winding down. I used to spray the little suckers with Windex or Formula 409 and wipe them off the kitchen countertops by the thousands. Now I sweep them up into a dustpan and dump them into my nepenthes terrarium. So for the past two months, the pitcher plants have been feasting.

The ants are still annoying, but since I started growing pitcher plants I've been able to put the little critters to good use!

The pitcher plants are thriving, BTW...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hate the act of killing and defrosting insects (live crickets from the reptile shop) to feed my plants but their growth has become quite remarkable because of it so I feed them every 2 weeks.

In the begining I was scared to overfeed but one crushed cricket into each pitcher which hasn't started to decline seems to keep the hungry mouths satisfied. Tonight I fed over 100 crickets to my active Nepenthes pitchers (and a few into the Cephalotus mound). I have not ever added anything to my Heliamphora as they seem to catch plenty of fruitflies or gnats from the looks of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borneo,

What was the osmocote ratio you used? I know you stated it a long time ago, but I forgot, and I think the post has probalby dripped into oblivion by now...

Oh... and as for milk and why the plants like it...

Milk is designed to be easily digestible by simple, still developing digestive systems. Cows milk contains quite a few different protiens, but two noteable ones are casein and whey isolate, these are VERY simple forms of protien and can rapidly be broken down into amino acids and processed for growth...

there ya go!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i feed my n. x rokko female
    xmas beetles (when they are around)
    my neps also catch cockroaches
    moths,sometimes wasps,and alot of ants!!! but the most "she" gets is the moths [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/unclesam.gif[/img]

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast