Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes feeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this might be an interesting topic. Although Nepenthes don't need to be fed to grow and produce pitchers. My experience has been that they can produce remarkable results in plant size and health when they are supplimented with regular feeding.

What have you tried in the past?
    What do you use now?
    What have been your experiences both positive and negative?

The following picture is an example of the results attainable when the right combination of temperature, light, moisture, and feeding are achieved...
    Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past, I have fed my Nepenthes only upon ants.
    Currently, I feed crickets, ants and sometimes mealworms.
    In my experience, crickets seem to be my Nepenthes favorite food. The only negitive experince I had was when I fed fireants to N. Miribilis. When they were fed, the whole container smelled like fireants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, i use flake fish food, but you already knew that. I believe it was Thomas Hayes of Dangerous Plants that first told me about that.

I think this is a good idea for a thread - it would be nice to know if anybody has seen any differences with different diets.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned that fish food trick on the same day, go figure. I have seen dramatic results from using koi food pellets. I did my own experiment using three N. x Judith Finns that were all about the same size. I fed one with the koi pellets, one with ants, spiders, etc. and I left the third one alone. The very next leaves and pitchers nearly doubled in size on the koi pellet food. The other two continued to grow at the previous pace. I have since switched them all to koi pellets and add an occasional bug now and then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I usually don't feed my nepenthes anything at all. They naturally catch there own food and I must say they catch alot! (specially my x ventrata [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] )
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

What are koi pellets? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of it as the hot dog of the fish world. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

"It forms a well balanced diet with all the fats, carbohydrate, protein, minerals and vitamins needed for healthy fish."

That's what one company says about their koi pellets.

Koi are a fish, in case that's the part you're not familiar with. Think really, really big goldfish.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use crickets simply because I'm lazy! They're easily obtainable in a variety of sizes at any Petco or Petsmart in any quanity. No hunting things down! They can be brought home and frozen in their take home baggies and defrosted in water on demand. like a TV dinner for the plants! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

I feed all active looking pitchers every time a new pitcher opens. Only one cricket per pitcher per feeding unless it is a larger pitcher. On the pitchers that are 6" or more I sometimes add 2 mature crickets.

I occasionally buy a flightless fruitfly culture and let them loose in the terrariums to crawl around and eventually feed the tiny pitchers on new plants with 1" or smaller pitchers (and the bigger ones too I suppose).

I have tried frozen bloodworms (mosquito larva) from the frozen fishfood dept but they are aparently too rich and rotted the pitchers within a few days so I never used them again after starting with the crickets.

I must add feeding is my least favorite aspect of growing them but I realize it's biological significance (and impact on growth) even if it grosses me out! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast