What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need special Nepenthes

Does anyone know of a Nepenthes that would fit in a small or large jungle pot and would take full sunlight?
confused.gif

what's a jungle pot?

I am gathering it is some sort of terrarium.

Full sunlight would depend on what part of the country you are in and what the temperatures are. The problem with full sun is more to do with burning from the heat. I have had N. truncata out in full sun in the middle of the summer and it did not bother it... however. It was not in a terrarium and our sun in North NY is less intense and the day temps are lower than say Florida. The plant was also used to growing unshaded in an East window for a long time.

Maybe you can describe your conditions and what the plant would be subjected too a bit more.
Tony

Haha um Tony its the terrarium that they sell here
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I would go with either of the neps that they sell here my personal fav would be the Raff.

lol @ Tony.
biggrin.gif

Aea 3, almost ALL Nepentehs can take full sun except for a few of them IE Hirsuta,Longifolia and Northiana which apprecaite full shade with little sun. And some apprecaite moderate shading IE: Lowii,Gracilis,Ampullaria. But most can take full sun as a Ventricosa,Rafflesiana,Gracilis,Truncata,Merrilliana,etc. Just go with a common and easy species, I reccomend Gracilis,Ventricosa,Rafflesiana (any forms expcet gigantea and singapore giant
smile.gif
) and a Sanguinea as your first start off. Just be sure to remember you will need very efficent ventilation or your terrarium will overheat and your Neps will look like old salad.
smile.gif
So, you are putting it on a windowsill I take it?

Hi !!
I think that Nepenthes mirabilis and Nepenthes alata could grow well in full sun. However nepenthes gracilis is right it depends from the strength of your sun.

An other full shade is Nepenthes rhombicaulis and a moderate shade is Nepenthes pilosa.

Regards

rajah

I agree with tony, growing conditions are different for almost evey person, and some neps that grow well in full sun in New York will certainly burn to smitherenes (a bit of exageration I know) at lower lattitudes. Take me for instance: I live in Puerto Rico, which has a similar climate and lattitude as Hawaii, and I hurt my khasiana, ventrata, and truncata (this one fared the best though) when I gave them 3 hrs of direct sun for 2 weeks. When I put them into the shadehouse though they rebounded quickly, and grew much faster then in full sun.

Joel™

nep g i think he was metioning YOU as the person. not the plant nepenthes gracilis.....

I'm just going to mention the size. The Jungle Pot should be OK for a little while but remember, Nepenthes are (in general) huge plants (which is why I like 'em
biggrin.gif
). Only a few highland rarities will stay relatively small-even then I think they'll be much too large for a fishbowl type terrarium for the long haul. In my 4 ft x 4 ft x 2ft terrarium I'll only be able to house a couple plants when they mature. even then I'll be using the machette to keep em under control.
Lowlanders (which is what they generally sell at PFT) usually get very large, the truncata has a possible 2.5 meters across (I think that's about 8 feet) with 2 foot tall pitchers! But humungous plants are a ways down the road so most any Nep will fit... for a while!

Good luck!

I know what he meant Stefano, I was just joking around. I was trying to be like "Oh wow my name's in bold and underlined! Cool I am standing out." Er something like that. Just forogt the whole thing.
wink.gif

Hi !!
Sorry, nepenthes gracilis it is like Stefano1 said.
I also forgot to quote Tony Paroubek. The strength of the sun depends from geographical area (as Tony Paroubek said) and the strength can more or less overheat the terrarium (as nepenthes gracilis said) .

Kind regards

rajah

I live in the LP of MI and in the summer are sun is sometimes strong and, 80 to 100 F are the summer temps (I think)

Back