Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metal halide wiring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally built the light box for the new lowland chamber. I've assembled the spiderlight reflector (that was irritating getting the spacers between the reflector and box lid) and 4" fan for the light box. But now I've hit an impass when I go to hook the balast up to the mogul socket. From the Hamilton balast I have a heavy duty cord with three wires Green, Black & White, my mogul socket only has Black & White. Where does the green wire go?

I purchased several MH balasts and reflectors second hand from a guy who was upgrading his 225G reef lighting so I don't have any wiring instructions. Also it was over a year ago when I got them I no longer have his # to call and ask him so if any of you have experience with MH I'd be very grateful for any advice!

Thanks folks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can tell you is that the green wire is the ground. I have no clue where it should go though
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to connect the green wire to a part of the frame of your lights. I think that there should be a screw on the frame for that purpose. If there isn't any, you might want to make a hole just for that. I'm not an electrician or anything, but I've had to put up/take down something like 10 lights around my house recently, and there's always a screw to connect the ground wire.

Jœl
    http://homepage.mac.com/mindmaze128/...lood forum.jpg
    Joel Martínez
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sword, like mindmaze said you can hook the green wire to the frame of the light black-power, white-nutreal, green-ground. green does not have to be hooked up to have the light work. it is a safty wire to direct the current.

if you are wanting to know how to hook it up to a outlet. white to white, black to black, green to the the screw off to the side of the plug.

hope that helps you with it.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new with Neps, but am a licensed contractor. The colors are American. I wish you could post a picture. Where you actually plug in the cord to your house outlet, is it a three pronged plug, or two?

PM me if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to add that to be safe you should plug your lamp in to a GFI outlet, this way you minimize the risk of fire.

Peace [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fire and shock.

Being realistic, you could just cut of the green wire and chances are that it would work fine. There is a very small chance that thing could go wrong though.

I would just cut off the green wire, but there is potential danger. Here in America with our 110 stuff, people can get away with more shortcuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh here's a picture of what I'm connecting:

On the right are the two wires which come from the Mogul socket (that the MH bulb screws into) on the left are the three wires which come out of the balast and are to be (have been before I purchased them) connected to the socket. I just don't know what to do with that extra green wire. If it is just a ground wire or neutral or whatever can I just put a screw into the light box and attach the green wire to that?

The outlet that plugs into my wall is a normal 3 prong grounded plug (the same type of plug that's on my PC and aquarium power strips) no problems or modifications with that my condo is equipped for grounded plugs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast