Thread: Stupid cats

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andenes,

Cute little dog you got there.

I do not think my wife was exactly thrilled when I drilled a hole in the ceiling of the kitchen and placed a hook to hang my nep from when the weather gets cold here. My cats will not be able to get it though.
    It worked great last night, the temp went down to 52 degrees so I brought the plants in.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear All:

I have a solution for your problems. No more nep eating cats, because a friend of mine has a cat eating nep.

Check it out:

[img]http://home.**********.com/agustinfranco/nepenthes%20pics/cat%20in%20nep.gif[/img]

Photo by Peter Biddlecombe of the Australasian carnivorous plant society. this is a N thorelli X truncata. Let your imagination fly and you'll feel better. I can guarantee you!!.

Agustin Franco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sincerely hope that photo has been digitally edited. That cat is adorable, and as much as I love neps, I can't imagine subjecting my own cat to abuse like that! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Colinliew:

I don't know if you have noticed, but if the culprit in each mischief or destruction derby is cute, everybody feels sorry for it, and it tends to be forgiven or tolerated, but if the culprit were an ugly roach or rat, then nobody feels sorry for it!!!. Why is that?

I wonder if you can imagine your favourite plant and then all of the sudden it is destroyed by a pet. If you still feel sorry for the pet, then you don't like your plants as much as you like your pet.....!!. simple as that!!.

I am not sure whether the photo was digitally altered or not, but believe me, in Australia there are plenty of soft hearted pet owners!!.

Agustin Franco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I'm quite certain that cat was only in there long enough to take the photo. It's not like the cat is stuck and getting slowly eaten rear-end first....yikes! what a way to go!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'll admit with no shame, as much as I love all my plants, I can't put the plants on the same level as a pet. I would certainly be very upset if my pet (currently a dog) damaged or killed a plant, especially a rare or favorite one, but...geezz...a plant can be replaced. A pet is a unique creature with feelings and personality...each is one of a kind.

The love most people feel for a pet isn't the same as the love you have for a hobby. Its (usually) an emotional love. Most pets become family members. I would no sooner hurt or get rid of a pet for damaging a plant than I would a child for doing the same. They are, after all, animals who don't understand human behavior like growing plants. So don't expect them to KNOW "hey my master reaaaally loves this plant...better not eat it."

And in my opinion, anyone who thinks more of a plant than a living, breathing, feeling animal, shouldn't have pets to begin with. They require care and love. They aren't inanimate, unfeelings objects like a plant. There are too many uncared for, abused pets as it is. Cats and dogs both chew on things and knock things over. Its the owners responsibility to make sure the plants are safe...not the pet's. And...accidents will happen. Its fine if you value your plants more than a pet...just don't have pets then. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

So, no I don't care too much for roaches and rats, but neither do I love them the way I do my dog. A roach or rat isn't something I've reared, loved, cared for and played with for the last 11 1/2 years nor has a creature like that returned the love and devotion ten-fold.

Would I get P.O.'ed if my dog destroyed a plant? Sure. But I'd trade any plant I have for as much time with my dog as I could possibly get.

OK...I'll step off my soapbox now. Sorry...I am an animal lover as well as a plant lover and I just can't compare a pet to a plant. I'll move or shield a plant in danger...a pretty easy thing to do.

If you can't handle an occasional pet-related plant disaster...don't have a pet. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

OH...and Elgecko, I AM truly sorry to hear about your plants. And Andenes...CUTE dog! What a sweetie.

Suzanne [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    (sorry...not a great day here)

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Augustin,
    I imagine it's because rats and roaches are usually pests that people do not grow sentimentally attached to, whereas cute puppies and kittens are a wholly different matter.

I wouldn't feel sorry for my pet if it destroyed my plants, certainly I'd be annoyed with it, but I wouldn't chuck it into one of my neps' pitchers. That's what I feel sorry about.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the photo, but I did think it was a bit mean to the poor kitten, is all I'm saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree with the fact that because dogs and cats are cute people grow attached to them. but then, isn't it a type of discrimination against not so good looking animals??

It is just the interaction between animals and humans what makes us feel more for animals, but then, respect plants too, because they are as living as you are, if they don't move or caress you back, but there is no reason to let a dog or cat destroy it. for me both animals and plants should be respected. If a cat destroys a plant by accident, would not a giant cp eat a rodent or a mammal by accident too??. tHis goes both ways, not just one.

Agustin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast