What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid cats

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
We had a cold snap last night, down to 50 degrees. I looked in the savage garden book and saw that it said that lowland neps should not go below 60. One nep I have I know is a lowland, the other 1 I'm not sure of. So I brought both neps and my orchid inside for the night. I have 4 cats and one of, or several of the idoits chomped on my nicest nep.
mad.gif
They chewed holes in 4 or 5 leaves and a pitcher that was starting to form.....stupid cats.
mad.gif
I'm going to make a stand for my plant in front of the siding glass door for winter time. I guess I better design it to make sure my cats can not access the plants.
I guess I'm going to have to figure something out so that they can not get to them again, since I think it's suppost to hit the low 50's again tonight. I guess in the downstairs bathroom with the door closed.

Sorry to hear that, but fortunately, neps are tougher than you'd think, so it'll probably be ok, if a little unsightly, but in a few months you'd never notice!! GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Ugh. I feel your pain. My &^%@! cat ate some pitchers on my sars....
They did recover, though. So I wouldn't worry too much.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Aug. 25 2003,4:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ugh.  I feel your pain.  My &^%@! cat ate some pitchers on my sars....
They did recover, though.  So I wouldn't worry too much.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Cats eating Sarracenia??!
wow.gif

My cats would only be interested if they tasted of tuna & chicken
rolleyes.gif

bill
alien.gif

Honestly, my cat's will attack anything that looks remotely green and leafy. I have to keep my plants locked up far away from them. They got in and chewed on the leaves of some of my neps as well.

Lucky for the cat that it was a nep. From what I know there aren't any toxic affects on cats from eating them. I would warn however that some of the other cp's might be toxic for them, although i'm not sure how much one would need to consume for it to be poisonous.

Cats seem to feel what you like to most... And in a jealousy fury, usually destroy it
wink.gif
I've succesfully germinate over 25 seedlings of Drosera dilato-petiolaris last winter, and after 3 weeks, the cats of my roomates threw one pot of my seedlings of the table... Guess what one it was?

I succesfully save only one seedlings, and after few months it is still stunt to the same size... It was my worst lost in my cp growing life
tounge.gif
. When I began growing cp, another cat che up my only cp twice, my VFT, which was the one i love the most in that time (always your favorites ones) ...

Your nep should be alright, they are amazingly strong plants.

The better thing to do is to put everything you love away from them... it is safer for your plants and your humor
wink.gif

Grow some barley etc. and make it available for the cats. This might persuade them to stay away from the cps.

Sorry to hear about that geko. I don't have a cat, but my 3-toed box turtle does seem to like Nep pitchers too!
wow.gif
I made an enclosure for her with my plants, and she found the N rafflesiana and N gracilis that I planted in the ground. :S She looks really happy outside though, so i don't mind that so much.
smile.gif

Jœl

Thanks for the wishing well of my plant recovery. I would not have worried so much, if it was not my 1st nep that I've only had for 2 months now.
A little update if anyone cares. The damaged leaves are, well damaged and unsightly. The plant has grown 2 new leaves.
smile.gif
In a few months maybe I will not notice the ugly leaves anymore.

My wife's cats (they sure aren't mine) have chewed plenty of orchids and I've fantasized about having a mutant Nep or VFT large enough to swallow the cats. Now I have Neps, but they aren't big enough and I have even more plants to protect.

MORE ANGER!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Last night, while repotting my N x 'Coccinea' (desperately needed it), my cat, while I wasn't looking, chomped off the pitcher tendril from the first doggon leaf that was going to pitcher since I chopped off the growth point. Two new points activated, and I was going to get my first new pitcher...grrrrr

Looks like its pets vs the nepenthes month...

My dog broke off about 8 new pitcher buds on all of my nepenthes! AND broke off a half formed pitcher off of my unknown nepenthes cutting!!! (If you dont remember it, look back to posts in november 2002). I waited almost a year to see that first pitcher!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
now i'll have to wait forever to see the next pitcher!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
wow.gif

Cats eating Neps?? Really? I've got 3 of them and if they developed a taste for Neps I'd feed them to the dobermans. Cats are pretty instinctively smart on the whole, so perhaps there's something in Neps we should all try. Anyone for a smoke?
biggrin.gif

Borneo, I know of one cat who was...notice the use of past tense...NOT inherently smart. He went out of his way to climb the backyard fence and then foolishly tried to intimidate my doberman. Moose tried to ignore him but when he ambeled up and swiped 102 pounds of doby across the nose...very, very dumb....very, very dead. One bite...one kill.
rolleyes.gif

I have a dog
tounge.gif
And he'd never atack my plants....well....maybe cuz he's sooo tiny and can't reach the hanging baskets jejeje
Pochaco2.jpg

Look at his innocent look on his face
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lauderdale @ Sep. 06 2003,07:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Borneo, I know of one cat who was...notice the use of past tense...NOT inherently smart.  He went out of his way to climb the backyard fence and then foolishly tried to intimidate my doberman.  Moose tried to ignore him but when he ambeled up and swiped 102 pounds of doby across the nose...very, very dumb....very, very dead.  One bite...one kill.
rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yep!  Had to be stupid to lose track of how many lives he had left and use up the last one being obnoxius
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Andenes,

Cute little dog you got there.

I do not think my wife was exactly thrilled when I drilled a hole in the ceiling of the kitchen and placed a hook to hang my nep from when the weather gets cold here. My cats will not be able to get it though.
It worked great last night, the temp went down to 52 degrees so I brought the plants in.

Dear All:

I have a solution for your problems. No more nep eating cats, because a friend of mine has a cat eating nep.

Check it out:

cat%20in%20nep.gif

Photo by Peter Biddlecombe of the Australasian carnivorous plant society. this is a N thorelli X truncata. Let your imagination fly and you'll feel better. I can guarantee you!!.

Agustin Franco

I sincerely hope that photo has been digitally edited. That cat is adorable, and as much as I love neps, I can't imagine subjecting my own cat to abuse like that!
smile.gif

Dear Colinliew:

I don't know if you have noticed, but if the culprit in each mischief or destruction derby is cute, everybody feels sorry for it, and it tends to be forgiven or tolerated, but if the culprit were an ugly roach or rat, then nobody feels sorry for it!!!. Why is that?

I wonder if you can imagine your favourite plant and then all of the sudden it is destroyed by a pet. If you still feel sorry for the pet, then you don't like your plants as much as you like your pet.....!!. simple as that!!.

I am not sure whether the photo was digitally altered or not, but believe me, in Australia there are plenty of soft hearted pet owners!!.

Agustin Franco

Back