What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthrive!!!!!!

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nepenthes
G

How much superthrive do you suggest using for nepenthes? How much is too much?

I'm no expert on fertilizing CPs I actually only just started doing so because in the past I'd fried my CP collection with "kindness" so I vowed not to fertilize ever again. However, being the fiddler that I am, I started upon the advice of some folks here (when we were all at GW) and things are going very well.

For Superthrive I use 1 drop (ST is concentrated B vitamins) per gal in my fertilizer water and 10 drops per gallon when I take cuttings or do transplantings.

My fertilizer mixture is thus:
1/8 teaspoon of Shultz Orchid fertilizer
1 drop of Superthrive
several drops of liquid trace elements for aquarium plants. This adds Iron, magnesium, boron and things used in very minimum amounts.
All the above are added to a gallon jug marked with a big red X on each side and kept ontop of the refrigerator (this keeps the water a nice 70*-80*). So far I've had great results but I have also been feeding my nepenthes fruiflies (setting teh flies free in their sealed enclosure) on a weekly/bi weekly basis as well.

I think the key to fertilizing is moderation and starting with very low doses and inbetween waterings with fertilizer water with pure water to wash the substrate free of excess fertilizer that may be waiting to burn the roots.

Good luck!

For regular watering use 1 drops per 2 gallons of water and for concentrated does on cuttings and stubborn palnts use 1-2 drops per 1 gallon of water. Hope this helps! BTW,What nepenthes are you Superthriving?

Nepenthes Khasiana + Ventricosa. How much superthrive should be used if I aply it to the leaves every two weeks? Right now I'm using three drops per large cup every month or so.

Hi all,

I'm not too much of an expert here, but I do know that if you use too much superthrive, it can stop pitchering. I've got a N. Ventricosa, I gave it 1 drop per quart every week or more, and got excellent leaf results but my pitcher went into stasis. Just a warning to be careful with this stuff, and so you'll recognize the symptoms if you see it. Good luck!

Yeah the only problem is that if you overdo it, your plant may halt in pitcher production for a while. And don't spray the leaves as you'll gain nothing. Just water with the Superthirve soulution about every month.

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 5
wow.gif
7 pm on May 8, 2002)

OK guys using superthrive OVER The reccomended dosage should not be done.

Follow its instructions, 1 drop per gallon or less, petflytrap uses 1/2 drop per gallon. I use superthrive one a month, or every other month depending on the growth in my tank.

Your plants are carnivores, if you use to much, then your telling it there is enough food present, and it does not need to produce it's trapping mechanisms.

Many people grow their plants without any fertilizer what so ever. ALso remember superthrive is not a fertilizer, it is a b vitamin complex with growth hormones, and more is not always better.

I reccomend 1/2 drop to the gallon if you are unsure if the plant can take a full drop a gallon.

The only time I reccomend going above the prescribed dosage is when you are taking cuttings, if you are going to soak the cutting in fungicide, rooting hormone, and so on, I would mix the rooting hormone and superthrive together, giving the superthrive a stronger dose. (5 to 10 drops) this is ok since your not watering the plant with it, your just soaking it temporarily.

I was just going with what the package said to do. For most purposes( active development, reseisting stress)- 2or 3 drops per big cupful, 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. But, I'll start using the dosage for extra soft, tender plants( one drop per gallon).

Back