What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staking a nep

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I know it soulds obvious, cram a plant stake straight through the soil and damage plenty of healthy roots...
wink.gif

So how do you carefully stake a nep? My bical is getting large and begining to lean to one side and I'm afraid of it tipping off the bench. I will repot it soon and I suppose this is a good time to put up a stake but the stake would be at a 45* angle...

Any tips?!

When my tobiaca was alive...I took an orchid bamboo stake and stuck the stake in surrounding moss that the pot was in....What I would do is get a thin yet strong stake and put it right in the pot, it wouldn't damage any roots if it is about the size of a pencil or so..problem is the stake might not be strong enough!
tounge.gif
I wouldn't attempt to stake it if the new pot stabilizes it. But other than this you can do what Mike Catalani does...use and overhanging wires...tie the palnt to them with foam coated twist-ties or something. Anyone else got any ideas?

Sword,
i have a couple of plants that are staked. all i do is take a small stick poke it into the soil next to the plant and round it out some then when the hole is big enought i push a 1/4" bamboo stake into it so i don't damage the root system that much. then i take twisty ties and tie it off at a couple of points.

another way i did one was i took some tie wire made a loop and hung it from one point then just stuck the plant threw the loop and let it hang there.

with the bamboo i like it that way better due to the plant will grow the way you want it to. it is like you are training the plant to grow a certain way.

with the hanging wire the plant will grow the way it wants to and will have curves threw out the vine

The way I do it is just to put a strond stick of suitable length in the soil to one side of the pot, avoiding most of the roots. Then, use something (string, twisty ties, etc.) to tie the stem to the stake.

Back