Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: clipeata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about plants left or not out in the wild... I did get a message back from Rob Cantley. He is working on getting a pure strain already in culture and hopes to have some available in 2003. ;< I would imagine if there were plants out there to collect seed he would be attempting that also since a fair number of plants on his list are seed grown. I am still waiting to hear back from Andreas and a couple other sources yet.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No guaranty if this is 100% true !!!! (it was told to me...)

N. clipeata was first introduced in Germany by Paul D. and there was at least one flowering female plant in the botanical garden of Munich.
    One of the three flower stalks was used to "produce" the "true" N. clipeata the other two produced hybrid seed, where one species (clipeata x ?) looks extremly similar to the real N. clipeata if the plants are young.

A. Wistubas plants are from the "true" N. clipeata the hybrid seeds have been distributed throughout the world and plants from this seed were (are ?) often offered as the "true" N. clipeata.

I know (and have vistited) some people in Germany who are cultivating N. clipeata (some of the plants once digged out from nature many years ago, some grown from tissue culture and there are male and female plants, so chances are high that they can be established in culture)

From the site where N. clipeata was first discovered some years later ALL !!!! plants have been digged out from "collectors" and there are now only very few (2 ?) new discovered places where only very few plants live.

(Charles Clarkes first book is talking about 15 (!!!) living plants !)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOuldn't it be great if this plant eventually becomes so popular in cultivatian that poachers lose interest in it? Then, once that is done, perhaps some noble people can re-introduce the plants into the wild, strengthening their gene pool by returning the young of plants that were removed a long time ago.

I personally think that would be great.

I would like to encourage responsibility in this area though... if youve only got one Nepenthes, and your a beginner, please don't snap up one of these plants, they are so rare, even in cultivation, that they should be grown by people with a lot of experience who can help spread it throughout our community. (No offense, but every dead plant means a lot for this species.)

I talked to a grower in USA recently apparently he had a single 3" Clipeata, from this andreas guy, it expired on him though he tried everything he could to keep it alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a message back from an inquiry to a lab who I thought had them on his list at one time. He has removed them because there is controversy as to if they are true clipeata or not..

Some interesting info also Martin!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... some interesting info on the Japanese front too.

I have a favourable response from one Japanese collector that claims to have some clipeata for sale. I got their reply about 15 minutes ago and have just emailed them asking to know how many, the size and price. I'll have to get some details on the origin of the plants too, so it seems.

I'll post these details as soon as they come to hand. Rest assured Tony (and then RAM) you are next in line IF I get a few.

Cheers, fatboy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well thanks for keeping me in mind Fatboy, If they have any to sell, and enough to get to me, I am sure it's going to be hellishly expensive... but I will definatley be interested...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't grow this plant (I mostly grow highland Neps), but it is not very hard to cultivate.
    I have seen N. clipeata several times now in cultivation (last week a really big one !) and they seem to grow well under lowland or intermediate conditions.

N. clipeata does not need a spezial substrat as someone may believe because of the natural habitat...

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info martin.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast