What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time from seed

• Thread starter GEORGE-CP
  • Start date
Hey all this is my first time growing from seed and i would like to know if this is a Nep. growing in the moss. actually it is all a green color

IMG_0294.jpg

Martin thanks for letting me know. guess it is just a weed then

Here is a photo of my Nepenthes Seedling.

Edit [ 11/4/2002 6:59 PM ] Ok, so these aren't Nepenthes seedlings. Anyone know where I might find a photo of a young seedling?

NepenthesSeedlings.jpg

[Edit 12/7/2002] The above photo is now of a true nepenthes seedling. The old photo is gone and will never return.

Argh! Back to the Drosera seed....

nick that is what it looked like when it first started out kool. so i do have some neps growing. that is a (clipeata x ventricosa) x (clipeata x ventricosa) jumping up and down i got them to grow. now just to keep them alive

Sorry Nick.. those are not Nepenthes seedlings either
sad.gif

Tony

Funny, then what are they? They appear to be coming from the seeds. None of the other pots, that I have used the same batch of sphagnum in, have anything growing in them other than venus flytraps.

Any idea what these are then?

nick same thing here none of my other pots have this growing in them. so what are they does anyone know. i'm just going to let them grow then and see what happens to them. so far there is only 3 in the pot.

Nick, this is ordinary grass

Ok, thanks.

Was excited for awhile. Now I will just watch the grass grow.

martin it doesn't look like any type of grass i have ever seen

I get that in pots of new zealand sphagnum moss all the time. It's a real weed. The blades get really tall, and the root system is extremely long and strong. If you let it grow, it will look very nice, but the roots may get tangled with the roots of nepenthes.

I get that same grass growing in my New Zealand sphagnum  also, I recommend that you pull it young - like nathaniel said it grows an impressive root system and will damage other plants if you try to pull it once it gets settled in.

On nep seeds, my 2 cents, the key is patience. I have had seeds take well over a year to germinate and cannot recall ever having any germinate quickly, the best I can recall is bicalcarata in 3 months.

Good luck & Cheers,

thanks all for the info. i will pull the grass out of the moss then since it will do damage to the root system. also i will be patience as i hardly ever throw away a pot w/ seed in it. no matter what is in it.

That's d@mn grass! They like to grow in my sphagnum moss, gotta pluck them out every now and then.

My thoughts are that it is a grass like Pete said. Same type of thing crops up in my Chilean sphag too from time to time. I am currently on my first attempt at Nep seeds and I have a single germination from seed I sowed only about a month and a half ago (that unknown ventricosa hybrid Pete.)

Pyro,

I went and checked that same seed you are referring to and I also have some germination,  new record for me. I think it may be the freshness of the seed or maybe because it is a hybrid and has the good hybrid vigor.  

Cheers,

pyro could you post a pic of that single seeds you have germinated so i know what to look for

I don't have the ability to post pics but I would be happy to email it to you. Drop me an email if you are interested

Back