Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes (light requirements)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High Dionea muscipula:

Thanks for your reply. Although what you say may be true, well i need some proof of it. Like what are the possibilities. I don't see any insects, except for the mosquitoes and an occassional moth. No fungus so far, if there are any pests, they are pretty well hidden (roots??)

Well, I'll inspect the roots of the tobaica soon!!

Thanks again.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what i'm basing that suggestion on. There are some infestations invisible to the naked eye. I'm beginning to wonder if that's what my new rafflesiana and gracilis have, because they're hardly the fast growing, easy wonders that people have described them to be.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone:

I would like to say that there may be another reason why my N. tobaica has not pitchered for some time. I have seen 2 websites in which N. tobaica is described as a highlander (nepenthes university, michael catalani and Malesiana tropicals). Borneo exotics describe N. tobaica as a lowlander. Which is true??. If Rob Cantley's site is correct then, My N. tobaica is shocked by the ultrahighland conditions and that's why it does not pitcher. I will add another discussion topic to find out what is the general consensus regarding N. tobaica classification.

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Number 2!!

Plants don't store alot of food. 50% shade for the whole day is far better than very low light for most of the day and then very bright for a portion. The few hours of very bright light don't make up for the remainder being too dim.

Your temperatures are also on the cool side. Daytime I would rather see 75-80, night 55. Although I don't think this is the reason your plants are not pitchering. They would grow alot faster. The N. xVentrata could be putting out a pitcher every month.

In my experience low humidity and/or low light levels are the primary culprits for plants not pitchering. There are other instances such as excessive nitrogen fertilizing, or a plant in vine mode being particularly stubborn but these are usually easy to determine. I am guessing it is both moisture level and light. You mention the N. tobiaca had pitchers until March. I am assuming it was making pitchers for you before that and your not talking about pitchers that were already on the plant when you got it??

Next questions... do you have exhaust fans on the greenhouse and how often do they run? What is the local relative humidity on average?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O also could you give me more details on the lights you installed? 2 growlux but what type and watts and how far above the plants?

Sounds to me like your greenhouse is in the shade for most of the day?
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony:

You are partly right about the plants being on the shade for most of the day. They get only 3 hours of direct sunlight until i installed the growlux bulbs (they are 2 of 18 watts each) and they are no more than 2 feet above the plants. Now they are receiving around 8 hours of artificial lighting plus the three of natural lighting.

No, i don't have exhaust fans, but the bottom of the greenhouse is open so fresh air can come in. Humidity is about 70-80%.

Regarding the pitchers of N. tobaica, to tell you the truth, it had 3 pitchers in November when I got and it remained with the same pitchers until march. However, I had it in my terrace for 3 months prior placing it into the greenhouse. At that time it was summer and it was hot and sticky. In the terrace, it received 4 hours of direct sunlight every day (no shade) and i watered every 5 days without any visible effects on the plant.

In other words, i have never seen it produce any pitchers since i got it.

Agustin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12