Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes (light requirements)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As some of you already know, I have started my nepenthes collection. I would like to ask the experts in the field about light requirements and terminology found in books and common discussion forums:

Peter D'amato mentions the following:

Sunny: plants should be illuminated by the sunrays for most of the day.

Partly sunny: plants should be illuminated by direct sunlight from 2-4 hrs.
    Bright shade: plants should not illuminated by sunlight for no more than 2 hours.

When he describes greenhouse light requirements, then he says that a greenhouse should exposed to the sun for most of the day. Does this means that plants that need to be exposed to "partly sunny" conditions won't do well?

What about plants that are in a greenhouse and only receive 3-4 hours of direct sun through a 50% shade cloth?? wouldn't that be partly sunny conditions or bright shade because of the intensity of the light is now diminished due to the shade cloth even though they are receiving the right amount of light??

What is the difference between bright shade and indirect light??.

I would be very grateful if someone can clarify this terminology
    salad!!

Thanks

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhhhhhh that's quite the salad!

Greenhouses are usually exposed to full sunlight for the entire day. Light inside is reduced to the proper level depending on the crop. This is preferable because the plants then receive the correct light for the entire day, rather than just a portion. It also allows for different levels of light by layering shade cloth over various portions of the same greenhouse.

You can't really compare a partly sunny spot outdoors to a greenhouse with 50% shade. On one hand you have a situation where the plant is going to get very intense light for short periods mixed with long periods of significantly less intense light. Compared to a situation where the plant will receive very long periods of moderatly intense light.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony:

I have another question then:

For Nepenthes which of the following conditions is better:

1) Partly sunny
    2) 50% shade for the whole day 8AM-5PM under the sun
    or
    3) 50% shade for 3-4 hours

Thanks again

Agustin/Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my neps are kept outside under a tree. They get a little direct sun in the early morning and late afternoon and the rest of the time they get filtered light through the trees. Occasionally during the day a small amount of direct sun will hit the plants through the trees but not enough to burn the leaves.

Bottom line... if you have a greenhouse, try putting your neps in and see how they like it. Just keep in mind, it is probably better to err on the side of too little sun rather than too much.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

The reason why i wanted to make sure my plants are receiving the right amount of light is because I have N. tobaica which had pitchers until mid march, since then, it refuses to produce more pitchers. I have a maxima ventricosa with with two pitchers which are slowly drying up, but it is not producing pitchers. The exception is an N. alata X ventricosa which produces 1 pitcher every 2 1/2 months. Since I acquired some more neps. I have recently installed 2 grow-lux bulbs inside the greenhouse. So they should now receive 5 hours of artificial light and 3 hours of 50% shade. I hope I can get more pitchers from my plants.

Any input will be appreciated.

Gus [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus, what are your temps? If it's too warm, all of these (which are intermediate/highlanders) won't pitcher. I assume the humidity is fine since it's in a greenhouse.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi D. muscipula:

the temperatures for the past couple of months have been 70-75 during the day and 48-55 at night. I know that most of these are highlands and the humidity is relatively high, even though, i don't have a hygrometer, but I know it is high, because I spray the inner walls of the greenhouse with water every three nights and the these walls remain wet for the next two to three nights.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those temps sound ok to me, maybe a bit low if anything for these intermediates, so that's probably not it. I've never had my neps refuse to pitcher, and i had them in a rather low light environment at the start. One other possibility that comes to mind is that you've got some kind of pest sapping the strenght. That's about the extent of my diagnostic abilities. Good luck!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast