Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stop the N. rajah hype! :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree N. argentii is difficult for me as well. They are very slow to gain in size. Mine grow and pitcher but they are still making what I would call juvenile pitchers and have only increased in size moderately. I really need to do some fiddling around and try some different things to see what might work better...Anyone else have some experience with it to share?
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

my N. macrophylla does grow in a very bright spot of my tank. Of course in a greenhouse even higher light levels will easily be reached. The plant does get about five hours of direct sun at the moment and it does appreciate this. Pitchers are still green when opening and they won't get the dark red colour under less light. This special clone is around here in Germany for many years and should be labeled correct. Rob, I do think you've seen some bigger plants of this exact clone few weeks back. And of course your plant is a different clone - my clone has a leaf apex which is somewhat more rounded than that of your plant.

The problem with the mite infection I had was not to fight it, but to find out what was going on with the plants. These are pictures of the most badly affected plant:

Even with a magnifying glass these "Weichhautmilben" (which translates word by word into soft-skin-mite) are not visible at all. They do live in the growth point and do harm the new growth badly. Strangely enough, only about ten of my plants were more or less affected. All others didn't show any signs of this pest at all. They do affect stressed and weak plants only. My N. talangensis was immune to them until I repotted it and in a matter of few weeks leafes looked like this:

The red colour is due to a fungal infection following the mite, I do believe. Luckily Andreas was able to identify this pest and also did send me some Kiron (an Akarizid) which kills them off very very effectively and doesn't harm the plants. Those mite are around naturally here in Germany and so I'm not the only one fighting this problem.

N. argentii seems not a to be a difficult plant under my conditions right now, but I have to admit I do grow this plant for three months only. It has produced three new leafes in this time. The leafes did increase in length slightly but the widht nearly doubled. This plant is of course still in its juvenile state, but does already show the typical leaf shape of N. argentii. I'm growing a clone from Phill and it will be interesting to see, how this plant developes compared to the ones originating from Rob.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joahim,

Diseases! Now this is really interesting. I've seen similar things here. At first I thought it was just a fungal infection and tackled it accordingly, then I found the mite. In this case it was black and very tiny but visible as a tiny black dot that would move if disturbed. We use a systemic insecticide: dimethoate regularly now and the problem hasn't re-occurred. We apply the dimethoate with a power fogger and it gets everywhere and into everything. Makes the tea taste darned awful. Some of it's probably lurking in my brain stem right now arghhhh!

The clones of N. argentii we have shipped so far are all different. However, the clone Phil has was sent to him from us and is one of the ones we are multiplying up here. It'll be interesting to see if we can isolate a more vigorous clone from the ones we are multiplying up. I think we have about 2 different clones in the lab now. It's not fast, even in sterile culture [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would add my HUGE 1cm tall N. macrophylla.. This clone is from Phill and is just starting to from that classic peristome.

Interesting Joachim on the mites. Looks like that top one is N. hamata. One of the few in my ghouse that I need to keep an eye on also. Most highlanders for me don't seem to be bothered but that one does.

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

this is a picture of Johannes' N. macrophylla...
    It is also slightly red on the inner parts.

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The music at that website just about put me to sleep. Very hypnotic [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] . N. tentaculata is one f my favorite nepenthes. I don't know why people don't create more hybrids with it. Someday I will create a hybrid with it, that will achieve clonal status.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast