What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop the N. rajah hype! :)

Hi,

before all here get too excited over N. rajah - there are other ones not looking too bad either...

N_macrophylla_1002_B.jpg

wink.gif

Joachim

P.S.: You are invited to post pictures of your favourite ones!

Ok,

can you beat this...

I have...
The flypaper Nepenthes !!!
It kills its prey by drowning it in nectar on the peristom :)

My N. ventricosa x inermis growing at a windowsill without spraying or doing anything special :

"sticky Nepenthes" :
Nep_ventrinermis02.jpg

"nectaries! :
Nep_ventrinermis03.jpg

I like this hybrid very much, because it's beautiful and can be grown under the most basic conditions.

Martin

Hi !!
Very beautiful plant Joachim, all plants of your collection are perfect.
I have 2 questions:
-The right name is Nepenthes macrophylla or Nepenthes edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla ?
-At your growing conditions which plant is faster between Nepenthes rajah and Nepenthes macrophylla ?

Kind regards

rajah

Hi,

Nepenthes macrophylla was first described as N. edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla by Johannes Marabini, but it was rised to species rank later.
Now it is called Nepenthes macrophylla.

Martin

my Ventata kills some really small bugs on its peristome too sumtimes... I clean it off kuz I'm afraid of mould... They're only like, gnats and stuff tho... They get stuck to the walls on the insides of the pitchers too! hehehe...

joachim, very nice Heliamphora you got there

Macrophylla! One of my most desired Nepenthes! *drooling*
: p ----------------

I would love to psot some pics but no website to upload to!!!!
wow.gif
sad.gif

If I had a plant, it would be my favoret, but no luck getting any so far
sad.gif
And when I mean no plant I mean 0 Nep. *sigh, just 14 days till the birthday party, lets pray for some CP's this year

(every year I ask and every year I don't get any lol, but this year I gave exact website addresses from wich to order
smile.gif

Nep G

email Phil

We have the webspaces back up....they have just been re-directed because of the move.

He can hook you up and you can make a webiste...or just use it to load pics
smile.gif

pcrane@petflytrap.com

Rajah, many thanks for your comments. In fact not all of my plants do look too happy right now. They are back on track after fighting a very bad mite infestion on some of them. Beeing too small to see those mite even with a magnifying glass, it took some time before knowing what the problem was. I plan to put up pictures on my site, when I've finally won.

N. macrophylla grows much easier for me than N. rajah under similar conditions. It likes very high lightlevels but that is not unusal for highland Nepenthes. N. rajah in contrary is more happy with much less light - according to my experience.

Joachim

Joachim,

I was just wondering why the waxy zone of the interior of your N. macrophylla pitcher has colored up? Do you give it lots of light? All the pitchers I have ever seen have white interiors. Here are a couple of shots of a plant that looks to be about the same age as yours:

http://www.borneoexotics.com/photos/temp/N_macrophylla_plant
.jpg

N_macrophylla_pitcher.jpg

I hope these files aren't too large, I'm still novice at this
confused.gif

What insecticide did you use to get rid of your mite problem? They've been a scourge here in the past but a good systemic works wonders.

wow.gif
 whoops!  pic of the plant didn't come out.  Perhaps it was too large.  I'll reduce the size a bit and try it again...

N_macrophylla_plant.jpg

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH AAAAAAAHHHHHH

This is better than 4th of July fireworks!

Looks like there is a hint of color on the inside of yours Rob.

I have not had too much of a mite problem. Occasional outbreaks on some of the thin leafed lowland Nepenthes and Heliamphora. I have had excellent control with no visible side affects with Talstar in a flowable form.
Tony

Bonreo, what kind of a growing set up do you have for your nepenthes? Looks interesting.

Nathaniel,

That's an open ended question! Umm.. In brief, my plants are gorwn in a 50/50 mix of coco-peat and chopped coco-husk. They are heavily watered 2 times per day with pure water. Temperatures for the highlanders range between about 13 deg C and 30 deg C. Lowlanders get between about 24 deg, C and 36 deg. (Sorry, I only know the dg. C scale and not deg. F equivalents). They are root fed only and are under about 75% shade. Relative humidy is never less than 70% and usually in the upper 80's.

Whilst we're on the subject of root feeding, I took a photo of a N. lowii that is exhibiting reasonably good growth rate. Someone asked to see this photo on another thread a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't have it to hand at the time. Here it is:

N_lowii_nursery.jpg

and here's an N. hamata clearly showing the osmacote pellets on the top of the media:

N_hamata.jpg

I don't need to use any heating or cooling here. Just lucky I guess
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jaie @ Oct. 06 2002,9:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nep G

email Phil

We have the webspaces back up....they have just been re-directed because of the move.

He can hook you up and you can make a webiste...or just use it to load pics
smile.gif

pcrane@petflytrap.com[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I tried to make a website as well. I don't know how to post pics direcly, like this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Borneo @ Oct. 24 2002,10:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
wow.gif
 whoops!  pic of the plant didn't come out.  Perhaps it was too large.  I'll reduce the size a bit and try it again...

N_macrophylla_plant.jpg
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I have to do it like this:

http://members.aol.com/xjpx....=AOL_US

mad.gif
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGG!
mad.gif

Rob, can I come visit you?
smile.gif

Everyone seems to have Macrophylla!
sad.gif
Except me!

Nice Lowii, mine's still pokin along........ hope it'll pitcher soon.....

beautiful.... Just beautiful!
smile.gif

More pictures please!
biggrin.gif

Back