What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yay ,i got my neps.

I won't mention where their from but I finally got them.
The first is a 12" diameter x Effulgent Koto cutting
The second is an 8" diameter x Wrigleyana cutting
I'm still waiting for my other 12" diameter x Effulgent Koto

Is it just me or do some nepenthes cuttings just look like a plant growing on a stick w/ roots?
confused.gif
wink.gif

Mike
smile.gif

Yes, most mature cuttings are not so beautiful, what I do when I get a large cutting off a mature plant is make several new cuttings from it and force a dormant node to grow and place it under intense flourescent light with high humidity. This shortens the internodes somewhat between the leaves and makes a more compact plant. Then as that cutting gets to 8-10" high cut it down about 1/2 way (leaving 4 leaves or so and cause several nodes to grow and possibly the roots to create offshoot basal rosettes around the main stalk. This all takes months to accomplish of course but this is how I have made more robust plants from mature cuttings so I don't have the "stick with a plant on top" look.

hope that helped some!

I was thinking of doing the same thing from the stalky plants I got from Cooks. Just long sticks with a little green on the top
sad.gif

I think I'm going to airlayer the cutting because there are two growth points. One at the top, one at the bottom.

You could just take cuttings, hybrids generally root very easily and a dormant bud on the parent plant will be activated when you remove the growing point.

I generally get 90% rooting with hybrids and it takes about a month.

Andrew

Back