Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy neps

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet again I have fallen into the "Lowes trap" and rescued 6 neps that were badly in need of a good home. Unlike the usual "dead plants in a cube" that they usually have this time they had large neps in 10 inch hanging pots. All were simply marked "Hybrid Pitcher Plants" (I won't get into the other horrible ineptitudes on the so called care lable).

I have decided that this time I would like to see how far I personally can get in pinpointing the potential parentage of these plants but one is leaving me stumped... its furry... really furry. It bares resemblance to both N. maxima and N. fusca but I can't seem to find out if either of these are furry. I know N. maxima has fuzzy pitchers, but what about the leaves? I can't seem to find anything on the pelt or lack there of on N. fusca. Course I also can't seem to find examples of leafshape for either of these two...

So my question is, how many neps are fuzzy and what are they? and of these how many have fuzz on both leaves and pitchers, or do they all have this trait?

Edit: Pics are on their way once I have made my guesses so that I can get the guesses of everyone else. I know that I will never know for sure, but I can't be the only freak that actualy likes playing "Name that Nep" am I?
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ampullaria has fuzzy leaves.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

N. Khasiana have fussy pitchers and fuzzy urns. N. Rajah leafs are fuzzy. N. Maxima leafs are a little fuzzy. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    What is the Propability of the Propability?
    If someone is addictied to therapy how will you treat them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Nepenthes have some fuzz to one degree or another. Now if your asking what is the likely hood that an unnamed hybrid from a garden center has fuzzy pitchers and or leaves. Odds are it has N. maxima or N. veitchii in it

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can take pics, it would be really helpful. Nepenthes that are known for their hairyness are N. pilosa, N. veitchii, to some extent N. truncata, ooh, and N. stenophylla. Look theese plants up on google to see if it might be one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would guess it would be N.judith finn or N.tobiaca. never know it could be even labled wrong as a hybrid. Kate there are alot of possiblities what it could be. like you said before put a picture up. feel lucky that you even found them in a store around you.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

HiCan yo tell me the state you live in that you prcased these plants.Can you aso tell me how much the plants are. And can you post a pic, you know by know that this PFT forum is great at I.d. nepenthes. I just want to help as best as possible. --Phil [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    What is the Propability of the Propability?
    If someone is addictied to therapy how will you treat them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. stenophylla, N. fallax, N. veitchii, N. hirsuta (of course) all can be very hairy.

I would guess you most likely have a N. veitchii hybrid, N. x judith finn (veitchii x spathulata) is commonly sold as an unnamed hybrid. You may also want to try to find pictures of N. veitchii x maxima (I think this is named N. x tiveyi, but I'm not sure).

N. fusca isn't particularly hairy, especially not compared to some of those others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast