Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: not pitchering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's another way to do what parasuco described. You get a shallow tray fill it up to the rim with pebbles you've washed. You then ad distilled water to the tray make sure the plant isn't standing in water and it should have enough humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't about those who have gubbler nep., but mine seem like almost forever to have leaf. Is this usual for gubbler nep. or it is just mine? Any way to speed it up and make it strong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine did nothing for about two weeks, then it was off the the races. It was been in a terrarium ever since.

Tristan, What percen humidity does a tray with pebbles create around a plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence to Tristan. The humidity tray thing doesn't do much. Whatever humidity evaporates off the pebbles quickly dissipates into the surrounding air. One thing that will help however is to use a tray with very high sides.. ie a terrarium without a cover. That will at least hold the moisture a bit more.

What's interesting is that alot of people say how Nepenthes must be in big pots (ie bigger than the diameter of the plant). I suspect that this thought has sprouted up because a plant in a low humidity environment will do better as the evaporation off the potting medium will create a small micro climate or moist air around the plant.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to caution the saying "tap water is fine".

Please, everyone, remember your tap water is not our tap water, everyones is different. Your tap water may be fine, but if you told that to a newbie living in San Antonio Texas, you just sentenced his plant to death.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's be more careful with this. Not all tap water is pumped equally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The humidity tray thing desn't work. Crap that stinks becuase I'm using this method on my N. Ventrata ever since the plant came.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eplants02 - I was able to make a humidity tray that works well (for my sundew anyway). I've got a black plastic nacho container (Frito scoops with cheese and beef) with high sides. It's 3" high and I hold a 3" pot and a 4". I fill the bottom or the container with water, just enough to almost touch the top of the watering tray that's attached to the pot. That way the pot isn't sitting in water, but is getting humidity as well. Over the course of the day the black plastic help the water evaporate, and it goes up before going out. On colder days I put a plastic lid on top to keep the humidity up. I don't know how large your N. Ventrata is, this only works for smaller pots. Otherwise, I'd advise a terrarium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12