What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A thought

I had a thought that N. truncata Highland, with its very thick leaves and ability to withstand temperature fluctations would make the perfect house plant or garden plant with very bright light and frequent misting. Do any of you think thats possible?

This is really impossible to answer without knowing what your
conditions are like. Moreover, since this variety of the
species has only very recently entered cultivation, I
don't think that anyone has much to say about its relative
tolerance of less than ideal conditions. While it is likely that
it has some of the same characteristics in this regard as
its lowland counterpart, it would probably be best
not to assume too much.

Jeff makes a very good point. Don't assume alot about a new species regardless of it's temperamental history. Also lowland Truncata's aren't that well in a house, I had one growing in it for a year and it made pitiful pitchers, moved to a more humid, warmer place and foliage size increased dramatically as well as pitcher size. The highland truncata is more hairy than the lowand form but that doesn't nessacarily mean it will tolerate environmental flunctuations. There still is some stuff to be learned about every species out there still.

Growing a Nep as houseplant also depends on your location. People in places like southern florida might be able to grow N ampullaria, N bicalcarata, and N gracilis in a bright area of the house, although they probably wouldn't grow too quickly there. Alternatively, people around washington and oregon could get away with having a few highland Neps as houseplants (I think unknownclown has most of her neps growing that way).

The "perfect" nep houseplant where I live (Puerto Rico) would be on of the more shade tolerant neps such as N longifolia, N ampullaria, N bicalcarata, N northiana (maybe) and N adnata (maybe). I haven't actually tired to grow any of these plants as houseplants, but when I have the oportunity I'll definitely try.

Jœl

well, if you consider a screen in porch part of a house. i have almost all of my plants growing there except for the highlands that are in the bathroom and the 5 that are outside hanging from the swing. as long as they get a couple of hours of good light each day they should do fine.

Did it hurt?

Peace

Back