What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toilet lid

I was just wondering if anyone here has a Toilet Lid Nep. I saw them at our local botanical gardens and thought a) wow, those are cool looking and b) Who named this thing! LOL, it's a hybred.

Darcie,

Is this a serious, ledgitimate question? I have never heard of such a name, and I have been involved with CP off and on, since 1980.

Regards,

Joe

yes, it is. I just thought it was an extreamly funny thing to read at a profesional gardens. The plant looked to be quite large so I'm guessing the grower had it a long time befor desplaying it. Next time I go I'll try and write down the scientific names... it does sort of look like a toilet without the tank though, and it's red.

I believe the scientific name is Nepenthes lowii.
smile.gif
because people have found bird waste in the pitchers, I guess...
wow.gif

i think u saw a n. rajah but I would'nt know . I call nep rajahs toilet neps cuz when i first saw one i thought it was a colorful toilet .

Spectabilis73, that company can sue you.........they have © for that pic so.......
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Whenever I think of Nepenthes and toilets, N. lowii does come to mind. However, for a mature specimen with upper pitchers to be at a local botanical garden is astonishing(unless it's a major place like the Atlanta Botanical Garden). My next thought was a mature N. ventricosa(didn't you just get a small plant of this?) .What garden is this?

Regards,

Joe

In Slacks book he refers to N. rajah as having a toilet bowl shape. So my vote is for N. rajah.

As far the guy above getting sued for linking that picture I don't believe it would come to that especially since the © C.Lee credit is still on the photo and wasn't removed. Afterall, Cooks Carnivorous plants has had C. Lees pic of a N. macrophylla on their site with photo credit going to Borneo Exotics for quite some time !
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It's a hybred, not a spiecies. I'm about 75% sure it was something crossed with ventricosa but I don't know what. Our gardens is very nice.

Maybe N. x alisaputrana? (rajah x burbidgeae) or N. x kinabaluensis? (rajah x villosa) ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swords @ Jan. 10 2003,10:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cooks Carnivorous plants has had C. Lees pic of a N. macrophylla on their site with photo credit going to Borneo Exotics for quite some time !
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Really?!  
biggrin.gif
Ho! Ho! Ho!
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

I did not think that any one grew N. x kinabaluensis or N. x alisaputrana but maybe I'm wrong if some buddy does grow those I would love to get them

do you think it could be N. inermis or N. eymai they look as much like a toilet as any but those are more green or yellow (it could be N. dubia or N. tenuis but very unlikely)

thanks Jeremiah

If it is a hybrid, my guess would be ventricosa x lowii.

the so called toilet bowl nep the hybrid is called nepenthes x briggsiana var but the one that is not a hybrid is called nepenthes lowii and they are very hard to get to pitcher.

Back