What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aclimating Nepenthes

Wet leaves is probably not the best plan.. maybe turn down the humidifier somewhat?
Tony

Sure, I did that. So you think pitchers will form fine in 65% humidity Tony?

I don't think that you should worry that much about humidity Ng. I have almost all of my neps outside (including truncata), where the RH can fluctuate between 50 and 100% almost daily, and they don't mind at all. Neps, like all plants, are capable of adapting alot to their surrundings. I'm sure that your truncata will do well in your place.
smile.gif

Joel

It appears to me that for them to be happy in less than ideal conditions they need a few things:

1. Time to adjust.. IE build up their root system so they are better able to take up moisture when humidity drops. And to make new leaves adapted to a harsher environment.

2. Bigger pots than would be normally necessary so that there is room for them to make a larger root system to uptake water quickly when needed.

3. Careful monitoring of the potting mix so that it is moist enough all the time to provide moisture when the plant needs it.

I have never had a Healthy Adjusted Nepenthes just suddenly drop dead if the humidity fell rapidly for a while. They may not always pitcher and the pitchers may not be as large as they could have been! So yes there are compromises.
Tony

(yes I think 65% will be fine for pitchers on a truncata but it might skip one while it is adjusting)

OK so who thinks I should put it in my G-house with huge pitchers being produced?

AND who thinks I should have a Nepenthes adpated to life on my windowsill and make visitors watch it in awe?

Vote now.
smile.gif

Back