What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

getting a terrarium

Hey mindmaze, where excactly did you get the terrarium, just a garage sale or something?  $59 isa steal!
smile.gif

DgM,

I got it at a pet shop at the mall.... It was the only one of its kind there so I think that's why i got it so cheap!
biggrin.gif

*UPDATE*

I followed Joachim's advice and got a power supply (can't find any with adjustable voltages
sad.gif
) to power the fans. The only problem is that THEY SOUND LIKE A JET ENGINE!!!!!!
mad.gif
I spent $10 on one just to find that I can't sleep when I have it on! Needless to say, that one is definitly going into my "useful-in-the-future" drawer until I get an orchidarium (when I manage to come up with a few thousand dollars that is) . I did manage to find a blower type fan at radio shack which doesn't make as much noise as the other ones (I'm definitly getting another one of these). With that running and a bottle of ice in there, I've gotten the temps down to 66F; not bad for a first try. I now have to make a cover for the lights to make it look pretty.
smile.gif

I'll put a pic up once I get the lid ready and have all the fans in place.

l8r

Joel

Are you using a PC fan? Mine is powered at 8volts (can't remember the amperage) and is fairly quiet. I have it sitting on top of a piece of plastic so it doesn't resonate on anything. The sound is barely noticeable with the lid off, and with it on, its completely silent. Good luck!

Pat

66F is great for a first try! That is good! Know lower it down more by increasing your ice amount by two bottles the smae size, to figure out how much ice you'll need, figure out how many degrees the temp is lowered to 66 by the 1 ice bottle then multiple thta by 2 and bigno bango you can figure out just how many ice bottles you need to get it down to let's say 50F. OK know you got 1 ice bottle that lowers it to 60F then second OF THE SMAE SIZE and volume would lower it to 50 if the one ice bottle lowers the temperature 10 degrees. See what I am saying?
confused.gif

If I put in 50 water bottles, could I get the temps below freezing? ;-)

j/k

Pat

Ng,

I get what you're saying. I'm gonna put one more bottle in the terrarium tonight to see how cold it gets. The whole bottle of ice setup is gonna be temporary though, since I'm planning to experiment with peltiers as soon as I find a suitable one.
smile.gif

Tc,

The fans that I have found are all 12VDC computer fans. I have one from a 4 year old Aptiva PC which doesn't make nearly as much sound though. The blower type fan seems to do the trick, but I really have to find a way to stop the resonance in the tank.

Joel

I am gonna go for the peltier effect too as soon as he fridge goes, then I can rip it apart and see what I can do!
smile.gif
I see though why you want to get the peltier as you could have it on a timer and your plants would get cooled even though you weren't there! I like the idea of that! Why as a matter of fact a few weeks ago I had to increase my ice quantity for the Rajah terrarium as the temp would only go to 65-60F!!! Not good, so i increased to a cold apck and now it battles the summer heat fine throughout the night.

Back