What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii Upper Pitcher

Has anyone who has a specimen of this species which is producing upper pitchers ever seen
one as shown in the image linked below?  For whatever reason, the rim of the pitcher is
"pinched" in toward its center.  At present, I am unsure whether this is a consequence
of hot weather, a normal phase in the transition from lower pitchers to uppers, or is simply
unique to this clone.  

lowiiUpperLarge.jpg

Can't say that I have seen that before. I guess if it does it consistently and other lowii form normal pitchers then it isn't environmental. Could just be a fluke thing and not genetic or environmental. Sometimes I get an occasional odd pitchers on plants for no reason that I can determine. Other plants of the same clone growing side by side are normal.
Tony

Having never grown the species I have little to go on but I am just curious, how recently did the pitcher open? I only ask because I was wondering if it might be that the pitcher just hasn't fully "expanded" after popping its lid.

Just my uneducated thoery

It's fully open. It's also the third one I've had do this.

Well I guess that means that my theory goes out the window
smile.gif

Absoulutely fasacinating! I have never seen any pictures of a Lowii pitcher like that! The first mature upper pitcher it has made in it's life also was shpaed like that? Also where ANY normal uppers produced correctly?

Back