What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite nep

"...dubia is a bit wierd, and no one has it (including me )..."

ah, and by the way, you should have a look at Andraes Wistuba's homepage (http://www.wistuba.com)
N. dubia and N. jacquelinea are coming in 2003 !!! :-D

Very nice to live in the same country ;-)
(sadly not for watching Nepenths in natural habitat, but at least for buying them)

Martin

My favorites are ramispina, hurrullii and some of the maxima colorations.

And Martin, once I have had the jacquelineae long enough to get some idea of how it does in cultivation and what it likes I will definately let you know.

Cheers

Hi,

Pete, N. hurullii (sp?) on your list is interesting - at least you do know what it is! Any infos or pictures of this one?

Deciding for a favourite Nepenthes is a difficult task. General favourites I do have are plants with "strange" pichters like N. x trusmadiensis, N. edwardsiana, N. dubia, N. talangensis, etc.

From the ones I do grow N. clipeata, N. macrophylla and N. glabrata are among the ones I like most - well at least for today
wink.gif

N_clipeata_upper_0902_small.jpg

N_glabrata_1002_small.jpg

Joachim

P.S.: Josh, all my N. lowii have turned to that slow growing speed with lower temps. It does also take much time after finishing the tendril before they do start to grow the pitcher.

Joachim - here are a couple of N. hurrullii pics from Phill Mann (taken on his last trip to Borneo), also I believe Rob has these in cultivation and will be making them available in the future.

hurrullii_PM.jpg

hurrullii1_PM.jpg

Cheers

Martin,

Yes...that is the one. Sigh.

Joe

N. spathulata with its almost metallic purple peristome

Hi !!
My favourites are all species of nepenthes, in particular
Nepenthes rajah, Nepenthes burbidgeae, Nepenthes truncata, Nepenthes edwardsiana, Nepenthes ampullaria

Regards

rajah

Hhi Pete,

many thanks for the pictures of N. hurullii!! It does look like N. sp B from Clarke's first book on Nepenthes of Borneo. So, with Rob having them in cultivation it will be only a small period of time to get hold of one
smile.gif

Joachim

Another one of my favorites is N. x Ile de France. Does anyone have any pics of it?

my fav nep that i have is my N bicalcarata, even tho it is growing SLOWER than Nep G's rajah

mad.gif

its getin big tho verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly

sad.gif

You keep it too cold! No wonder why it isn't growing fast!
tounge.gif
I keep my bicals at a minimum of 65F. But even then bical's grow fast. Soemthing sounds wrong with your setup if it is slower than my Rajah! Or perhaps something is wrong with the soil,pots, or environmental factors. Light may be too low also.

well, the soil

on the bottom of the pot its like 2" orchid bark

then is LFS with peat moss and perlite and orchid bark

in a 12" pot

its really deep

right now its 70 degrees

how can i keep my bicall too cold in SOUTHERN FLORIDA?
tounge.gif

and with the lightning, i read taht it dosnt like alot of light

Heh, well you told me in chat that it was 50 degrees out. Your soil and other stuff sounds fine. What kind of light is it in? Shade? Dappled?
confused.gif

shade

its 55 now, i just un ziperd it and its warm in there AND humid, lol, im just gona take a towel and toss it over so it can conserve the heat

Well I think it would appreaciate more light. And too low of temps! Those are highland temperatures, Bical will survive them but it won't do well for you. No wonder why you say it's slow, too cold!
wink.gif

i hate the cold weather, so what do u htink i should do

tkae it out and toss it in full sun? i dont think itll be as bad as summer sun because the sun isnt as strong now

dude the temps right now are 70 and when i walk in the sun it feels like 85@!!!!!!

You said it was in the shade.
smile.gif
Well if temps are in the 70's all the time it shouldn't bother it. The temperature falling into the 50's is what is making it slower. The trick to Bical is to keep it warm and humid. Good luck!

yea it is in the shade, should i put it in full sun?

Back